National Economic Council director Larry Kudlow is refuting a Tuesday report that claimed United States officials canceled a meeting with China scheduled for this week as the two sides continue their trade talks.
In the wake of a CNBC story that reported on the canceled meeting, Kudlow — a former CNBC host — appeared on the network and said the story is false.
"With respect, the story is not true – right at the top, Wilfred, the story is not true – never a planned meeting," Kudlow told "Closing Bell" co-anchor Wilfred Frost.
"The big meeting that everyone's moving towards will be Vice Premier Liu He is coming at the end of the month, as I think everybody knows. That will be a very important meeting, that will be a principals' meeting. And everyone's looking towards that."
Kudlow noted there were not any other meetings on the schedule to cancel.
"We are in constant communication with the Chinese officials … as part of our negotiations. I don't know where people got this idea. I'm here to deny it," he said. "Let's have a little bit more reporting, fewer novels, please. The story is unchanged, we are moving towards negotiations. These will be, as I've said before, the broadest and deepest scope of negotiations with China in history. And President Trump, as you know, has pressed the case hard."
The U.S. and China have waged a trade war of sorts since last year as the Trump administration tries to even the global playing field in regards to trade. Each country has placed tariffs on several of the other's goods.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.