Tags: Pew | Survey | Recession | Hurt | Half | Americans

Pew Survey: Recession Hurt More Than Half of Americans

Friday, 24 Sep 2010 03:08 PM

The worst economic slowdown since the Great Depression hurt more than half of Americans, especially younger people, minorities and those with a high school education or less, a Pew Research Center survey found.

“For a narrow majority of Americans, 55 percent, the Great Recession brought a mix of hardships, usually in combination: a spell of unemployment, missed mortgage or rent payments, shrinking paychecks and shattered household budgets,” according to the survey released today in Washington. “But for the other 45 percent of the country, the recession was largely free of such difficulties.”

The survey, taken May 11-31, reflects the responses of 2,967 people to eight questions designed to measure economic hardships experienced during the recession. The margin of error was plus or minus 2.2 percentage points.

Demographics largely distinguished people who “lost ground,” including those who lost jobs, had trouble paying rent or had to borrow money from family or friends to pay bills, the survey found. Whites, older adults, the better educated and the more affluent were significantly less likely to report they made major lifestyle changes because of the economy, the survey said.

Almost half of all white respondents surveyed “held their own” during the recession compared with 33 percent of blacks and 29 percent of Hispanics. Additionally, older adults were “more sheltered” than younger people as about seven in 10 people aged 65 and older “held their own,” the survey said.

Only 47 percent of people in the eastern U.S. lost ground during the recession compared with almost 60 percent of the population feeling financial stresses in the Midwest, South and West, the survey said. The recession adversely affected a smaller proportion of suburban and rural residents than those in cities.

Withdrew Savings

Almost two-thirds of those who fared worse withdrew money from savings and retirement funds, while 43 percent were jobless at some point during the recession, the survey found.

The half that better weathered the slump reported few instances of declining family income, a need to withdraw money from savings and retirement to pay bills or of deteriorating finances, the survey found. Less than 1 percent said they were unemployed.

The recession most affected peoples’ spending habits, according to the survey. Slightly more than half of those who faced no major struggles during the recession reported their single biggest adjustment was in spending, compared with 33 percent of those who lost ground.

About half the people in both groups reported declining home values. About eight out of 10 people surveyed said they believe that “buying a home is the best investment that the average person can make.”

The Pew Research Center calls itself a non-partisan “fact tank” providing “information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world,” according to the Washington-based organization’s website. Pew’s Social & Demographic Trends project carried out the survey.

© Copyright 2017 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Headline
The worst economic slowdown since the Great Depression hurt more than half of Americans, especially younger people, minorities and those with a high school education or less, a Pew Research Center survey found. For a narrow majority of Americans, 55 percent, the Great...
Pew,Survey,Recession,Hurt,Half,Americans
471
2010-08-24
Friday, 24 Sep 2010 03:08 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
MONEYNEWS.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved