Greece offers beauty, splendor, and history, but the best Greek getaways also include some hidden wonders. Along with exquisite landscapes and ancient cities are the hundreds of islands, each with unique characteristics.
The marble temples bring mythology and legends to life. Glistening, crystal blue waters often surround some of the most popular tourist locations. The local food, culture, and sights make for a perfect vacation getaway with plenty of choices.
Consider these seven best Greek getaways:
1. Santorini, Cyclades — This island in the Aegean Sea was named the top travelers’ choice by TripAdvisor for 2016. Sights include houses carved into cliffs, wonderful local architecture, and black sand beaches. Enjoy the unique villages and beautiful sunsets.
Latest: What's Your Favorite Type of Vacation? Relaxing or Exploring?
2. Hydra — Art lovers have long enjoyed weekends at this location, less than two hours from Athens, Conde Nast Traveler reports. Considered a laid-back island, Hydra features famed artists and art exhibitions. Visitors love the waterfront and old-world atmosphere, which includes donkeys patrolling back alleys, charming accommodations, and atmospheric bars.
3. Nafplio — Natural beauty, neoclassical mansions, and historic buildings surround Nafplio, Greece’s first capital. The Old Town section makes for a pleasant view into the country’s past, according to the Culture Trip. The acropolis in Nafplio provides a stunning view of the Bourtzi Castle and beaches.
Tell Us: What Part of the World Do You Like to Visit?
4. Mount Parnitha — Just outside of Athens, Parnitha is a paradise for nature lovers. It has wild outdoors and hiking opportunities in the national park.
5. Cape Sounion — Also near Athens is this home to the Temple of Poseidon, the God of the Sea. The ancient Greek sailors stopped here on the way back to Athens. Some of the brilliant columns still stand, and visitors may also enjoy the taverns along the beach.
6. Crete — The largest Greek island offers resort areas, wonderful beaches, ancient ruins, remote mountains, and historic and unique Venetian towns. There’s so much to do, tourists can spend an entire vacation there, according to Travel and Leisure.
7. Sporades — The islands off the northeastern coast of mainland Greece provide a variety of choices for travelers. Choose from the beautiful sandy beaches and nightlife in Skiathos or the natural wonders of Skopelos, which also has shipwrecks within the National Marine Park.
Vote Now: Should the Government Be Doing More to Promote Tourism in America?
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.