Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - In Google Play
Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - On the App Store
Skip to main content
Tags: immigration | legal | resident | forms

6 Immigration Forms To Fill Out to Become Legal U.S. Resident

By    |   Sunday, 30 August 2015 12:00 AM EDT

Immigrants to the United States may seek legal residency or citizenship, which requires specific forms and steps to follow. Each form usually requires a fee. The forms can be downloaded online or ordered by contacting the U.S. Citizenship Immigration Services.

Here are six forms immigrants or relatives of American citizens need to obtain to become a legal U.S. resident or a U.S. citizen, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

1. Form I-485
To apply for status as a permanent resident, people are required to fill out Form I-485. When applicants are approved, they are authorized to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis with the issuance of a permanent resident card, also known as a Green Card, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

Urgent: Do You Support Immigration Reform?

People eligible for permanent residence can apply through their family, a job offer or current employment, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. A legal resident card can also be issued while seeking asylum status or by other special provisions. Requirements for permanent resident status include having the petition filed and approved, having an immigrant visa immediately available, and being allowed in the United States. Those who don’t have to wait for an immediate visa to become available include immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, such as parents, spouses, and unmarried children under age 21.

2. Form I-130
Relatives of a U.S. citizen must complete Form I-130 for permission to receive permanent resident status. Relatives must be eligible for the status and wait until a visa number becomes available before they can apply.

3. Form I-129F
To petition for permission to apply for permanent resident status for an immigrant fiance or fiancee, an I-129F form must be completed. This can include bringing the immigrant’s children to the United States.

4. Form I-140
Form I-140 is required to petition for an alien worker to become a permanent resident. Instructions include filling out the name, name of employer, and personal information.

Vote Now: Do You Support Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants?

5. Form I-526
Business owners who plan to immigrate to the United States must fill out Form I-526, known as an immigrant petition by alien entrepreneur.

6. Form N-400
Form N-400 is required during the process of applying for citizenship in the United States. The process includes determining if the person is eligible for U.S. citizenship, preparing and submitting Form N-400 for naturalization, completing an interview with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and taking an oath of allegiance to the United States.

© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Immigrants to the United States may seek legal residency or citizenship, which requires specific forms and steps to follow.
immigration, legal, resident, forms
Sunday, 30 August 2015 12:00 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.

PLEASE NOTE: All information presented on Newsmax.com is for informational purposes only. It is not specific medical advice for any individual. All answers to reader questions are provided for informational purposes only. All information presented on our websites should not be construed as medical consultation or instruction. You should take no action solely on the basis of this publication’s contents. Readers are advised to consult a health professional about any issue regarding their health and well-being. While the information found on our websites is believed to be sensible and accurate based on the author’s best judgment, readers who fail to seek counsel from appropriate health professionals assume risk of any potential ill effects. The opinions expressed in Newsmaxhealth.com and Newsmax.com do not necessarily reflect those of Newsmax Media. Please note that this advice is generic and not specific to any individual. You should consult with your doctor before undertaking any medical or nutritional course of action.


Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the NewsmaxTV App
Get the NewsmaxTV App for iOS Get the NewsmaxTV App for Android Scan QR code to get the NewsmaxTV App
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved