Although illegal immigration to the United States has declined in recent years, public anger over the presence of illegal immigrants has escalated in states that border Mexico, such as Arizona.
One of four states to border Mexico, Arizona holds the greatest numbers of illegal aliens than other states around the country.
Here are seven facts about Arizona’s rate of illegal immigrants.
1. There is estimated to be more than 300,000 illegal aliens that permanently live in Arizona, according to the Arizona Daily Star
Vote Now: Do You Support Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants?
2. In state's public school system alone, more than 121,000 students have at least one parent who is an illegal immigrant, which is 11 percent of the students enrolled in Arizona's public schools, according to the Pew Research Center.
3. Since 2007, the population of unauthorized Mexican immigrants has been on the declinein the U.S., according to the Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends blog.
4. Often many illegal immigrants crossing the U.S.–Mexico border die in the desert. In the years between 1990 and 2012, the University of Arizona found that 46 percent
of all migrant deaths in Arizona were linked to exposure.
5. In 2013 alone, around 200 bodies were discovered in Arizona’s desert close to the U.S.–Mexico border, the International Business Times reported
6. The high mark of illegal immigrants entering the country was in 2000, when 1.6 million illegal aliens crossed into the U.S., according to the New York Post
. Since 2012 Arizona has joined the nation in lowering its numbers of illegal aliens to 400,000. This year, immigration has been down 28 percent nationally.
7. A total of 47 percent of illegal border crossers enter into America through the Mexico border in Arizona, according to the Federation for American Immigration Reform
Urgent: Do You Support Immigration Reform?
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.