Are you planning on hunting this fall in Massachusetts? There are 13 types of animals that can be legally taken during this season. Fall begins the third week in September and winds up the third week in December, according to the Farmer’s Almanac
A state-issued hunting license is required to take any of the animals listed below, and you might want to check the state website for special permitting requirements.
ALERT: Should Obama Have More Control Over Guns? Vote Now
This article is for information only. Please check current regulations before hunting.
URGENT: Do You Support Obama's Plans for Stricter Gun Control? Vote Now
- Bear can be hunted in zones 1-9 from early September through November. Animals wearing radio collars should not be hunted. If you take a collared animal you must immediately contact the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s field headquarters at (508) 389-6300. According to Eregulations.com, the limit is one bear per hunter per season, and weapon types are regulated. Dog and baiting are prohibited.
- Wild turkey season in zones 1-13 runs from mid-to-late October and requires a special permit and a green safety sticker on the firearm that must be visible as you sight down the barrel. According to Eregulations.com, annual bag limit is two birds, with only one taken per day. Don’t use electronic calls, baiting, or dogs when hunting turkey.
- Pheasant (and quail and ruffed grouse) season runs in October and November and is limited to two per day; the cap is six per season.
- Quail hunting in zones 11-14 has a four per day limit. The season cap is 20 per season.
- Ruffed grouse takes are limited to three per day and 15 per season.
- Deer have special restrictions listed on the state site and different seasons for various weapons. Roughly, the season runs from mid-October through New Year's Eve with earlier cutoff dates per weapon type.
- Cottontail rabbit can be hunted in zones 1-12 from mid-October through February, and in zones 13 and 14 from mid-November through February. Daily bag limit is five.
- Snowshoe hare hunting zones 1-4 are open mid-October through February, zones 5-12 from mid-October through early February, and zones 13 and 14 from mid-November through early February. There’s a two animal bag limit per day.
VOTE NOW: Is Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker Doing a Good Job?
- Jackrabbit is only hunted in zone 14 from mid-November through December and is limited to one animal.
- Gray squirrel can be hunted in zones 1 to 9 from mid-September to early January, and in zone 10 to 14 from mid-October to early January. The limit is five per day.
- Coyote can be taken from mid-October to early March from a half hour before sunrise to midnight with some restrictions. Artificial lights are prohibited.
- Raccoon season runs October through January and limits to three animals between sunset and sunrise, except during pheasant or quail season. There’s a limit of one animal per person per night.
- Opossum season is October through January with no limits from sunset to sunrise, except during pheasant or quail season.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.