Beretta has been a gun manufacturer longer than the United States has existed. Here are some interesting facts about the company's hallowed history.
ALERT: Should Obama Have More Control Over Guns? Vote Now
1. Beretta is an Italian company with headquarters located near Milan, Italy. It started as a small business by a local gun-barrel master named Bartolomeo Baretta in 1526. Remarkably, the business has stayed not just opened, but operated by the Beretta family for 489 years.
2. Coupled with its long existence and central location in Northern Italy, Beretta found itself playing a pivotal role in both World Wars, especially World War II. According to an article on Guns.com
which features a visit to the Beretta factory, the company was publicly responsible for supplying firearms to the Fascists — but secretly, Beretta also armed the Partisan opposition as well.
VOTE NOW: Do You Support a Ban on All Fully Automatic Rifles?
3. Beretta began and remained gun barrel manufacturer only until the 1850s, when Giuseppe Beretta felt the time had come for the company to begin producing complete guns, according to the Guns.com article.
4. Beretta is a multi-faceted company. It runs a nonprofit organization called the Beretta Foundation that’s dedicated to cancer research, and they own several vineyards.
5. Beretta has had a manufacturing facility in Accokeek,Maryland since 1977. The violence in Newtown, Conn., led the state of Maryland to ban 45 assault weapons and invoke stricter background checks for gun purchasing. In 2014, Beretta announced that it will relocate to Tennessee, which is considered a state more accommodating to firearms owners, reported the Washington Post.
This article does not constitute legal advice. Check the current gun laws before purchasing or traveling with a firearm.
URGENT: Do You Support Obama's Plans for Stricter Gun Control? Vote Now
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.