Jordan Spieth became the top-earning golfer in 2015, pulling in more than $50 million
, and the 22-year-old was later named one of Time's 100 Most Influential People
Here are seven things you might not know about the up-and-comer.
1. Spieth attended high school at Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas and was invited to play in his first PGA event at age 16, according to his website
. After high school, he attended the University of Texas and helped his team win the 2012 NCAA Team Championship. He went pro the following year and was named 2013 Rookie of the Year.
URGENT: Who's The Greatest Golfer Of All Time? Vote Now
2. In 2015, Spieth amassed five victories and 15 total top-tens and shattered records, including the lowest 36-hole and 54-hole scoring records, the most birdies in 72 rounds (26), and tying the 72-hole scoring record. He was named 2015 Player of the Year.
3. When Spieth won the U.S. Open title last year at age 21, he was the youngest winner since Bobby Jones, who took the title in 1923 at age 21.
4. Before he first PGA event at age 16, Spieth warmed up during a rain delay by playing ping pong, according to The Dallas Morning News
. He went on to tie for 16th at the event.
POLL: Tiger or Jack? Who Is The Greatest Of All Time? Vote Now
5. The Jordan Spieth Charitable Fund was established to raise awareness for issues, including those of special-needs children. It was inspired by Spieth's younger sister, Ellie, who has special needs, Golf Digest reported
6. In January, Spieth bought the former home of fellow golfer Hunter Mahan, Golf Digest said
. The home includes a 12-car underground garage, indoor basketball court, pool, and golf-simulator room.
7. Miss Texas Shannon Sanderford asked Spieth out on a date during a 2015 Texas Rangers game at the end of a freestyle rap during a TV interview, the Morning News reported. His girlfriend Annie Verret, who was also his high school sweetheart, was in attendance.
VOTE: Who Is The Greatest Golfer Of All Time?
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.