1. Justin Thomas Wins Tournament of Champions — Golf Channel
2. Bitter Playoff Loss to Thomas for Schauffele — Golfweek
3. Paul Azinger’s 5 Bold Predictions for 2020 — GOLF.com
4. Chip Shots: Dottie Pepper buys school lunches; Patrick Reed heckled; Security guard reaches PGA Tour; Touring pro J.L. Lewis dies; Augusta National seeks rare green jacket
1. Thomas Wins Sentry Tournament of Champions in a Playoff: On a wild and windy Sunday at Kapalua, Justin Thomas survived a near-collapse to walk away with the Sentry Tournament of Champions title via a playoff win over Patrick Reed and Xander Schauffele. It wasn't pretty, but Thomas ultimately got the job done, overcoming a disastrous 72nd hole and three more trips down the par-5 18th in the playoff to take down Reed and Schauffele for the title. The 26-year-old now owns 12 career PGA Tour victories, making him the only player currently under the age of 30 with that many wins. He also moved to 3-1 in playoffs on Tour. Read More . . .
2. Schauffele Admits He Let Victory Slip Away: A clearly disappointed Xander Schauffele, minutes after being eliminated on the first playoff hole at the Sentry Tournament of Champions, said: “I should’ve won the tournament” during a post-round interview on Golf Channel. Schauffele, the tournament’s defending champion, three-putted the 18th hole in regulation and then three-putted it again on the first playoff hole. Schauffele took a one-shot lead into the final round but ended up in a three-way playoff with Patrick Reed and Justin Thomas.Read More . . .
3. NBC Analyst Paul Azinger Shares 5 Bold Predictions: As lead golf analyst for NBC Sports, 12-time PGA Tour winner Paul Azinger has to trust his instincts when he steps into the booth. Make the right call and all is well. Wrong call, and he goes home with egg on his face. Perhaps it’s no surprise, then, that Zinger is an accomplished poker player, because being successful at the table requires not only nerve but also excellent judgment. We asked him to peer into his crystal ball and give us five bold PGA Tour predictions for the coming year. He did not disappoint. Read More . . .
4. Chip Shots: LPGA Tour star Dottie Pepper donates funds to pay cafeteria lunch debt for students at her old elementary school in Wilton, N.Y. . . . Fans at PGA Tour event in Hawaii heckle Patrick Reed over rules infractions . . . Xinjun Zhang explains his unlikely journey from security guard to PGA Tour pro . . . Former tour player J.L. Lewis reported dead at age 59 . . . Extremely rare Augusta National green jacket, passed down to non-golfing Baltimore man, is urgently sought by the club.
David Gould is a journalist, editor and author with 30 years’ experience in categories such as golf, travel, luxury goods and corporate communications. Gould is a contract employee of NBC Sports/GOLF Channel, providing communications support for several business units there. He is also Editorial Advisor and an outside director of OpenRounds, Inc., a vendor to private golf clubs. He has served as Executive Editor of Travel + Leisure Golfmagazine and Chief Editor of LINKS Magazine. Gould has contributed 100-plus articles to leading sports publications on golf-related topics. He is the author of “Q School Confidential” (St. Martins Press, 1999) a history of PGA Tour qualifying, “The Golfers Code (Triumph Books, 2004) and “Real Golf: 120 Tips for Better Golf and Lower Scores” (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2002). To read more of his reports — Click Here Now.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.