Afghan President Again Demands US Airstrikes End

Sunday, 19 January 2014 10:52 AM EST ET

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghanistan's president says the U.S. can no longer carry out military operations or airstrikes and must jump-start peace talks with the Taliban before his country signs a security deal to keep American troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

Hamid Karzai made the statement Sunday after being presented with the findings of an investigation into a joint Afghan-U.S. military operation last week that resulted in civilian casualties which he blamed on U.S. soldiers.

The U.S.-led international military coalition, however, provided a sharply different account of what happened during the two-day operation against insurgents in eastern Parwan province, saying it was an Afghan-led effort and carried out at the request of the government.

Although Karzai has set out similar conditions in the past, he has intensified his anti-American rhetoric in recent weeks.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Asia
Afghanistan's president says the U.S. can no longer carry out military operations or airstrikes and must jump-start peace talks with the Taliban before his country signs a security deal to keep American troops in Afghanistan after 2014.
afghanistan,karzai
131
2014-52-19
Sunday, 19 January 2014 10:52 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

View on Newsmax