Tags: parkland | shooting | parenting | schooling

Parkland Shooting Shows Our Children Need More Help

Parkland Shooting Shows Our Children Need More Help
People are brought out of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School after a shooting at the school that reportedly killed and injured multiple people on February 14, 2018, in Parkland, Florida. Numerous law enforcement officials continue to investigate the scene. (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Thursday, 15 February 2018 03:28 PM Current | Bio | Archive

The recent shoot-up at another school raises the specter of children in rage and out of control. When 17 people are killed from the hands of a deranged student, it defines our children when it’s a bit late. Warning signs are everywhere that point to interventions that are needed for which there are neither funds not cures and likely interest.

Look no further than the bus ride to school. Students are beating on each other, cursing drivers and directly attacking drivers verbally and physically. Where are our reinforcements? All buses should have video monitors to document kids who are out of control. Some would like another adult to ride along on the bus, but where’s the money coming from? Such would allow effective disciplinary policy development.

But back it up. The problems stem in large measure from lack of parental support of the school system and students. Check out the PTA/PTO meetings for the parents of the kids causing the disruptions aren’t usually the ones in attendance. The move to mainstreaming has also mixed kids who need special assistance in with those progressing normally which can disadvantage both. I support school choice which unfortunately only covers about 20 percent of eligible students? What about the other 80 percent?

Education is a requirement of society but the move to make it mandatory to age 18 should be rethought. If students don’t want to be in school why are we forcing them to stay past age 16 many being disruptive to others? One way to resolve discipline problems is to quit making schools babysitters and require engagement of students or let the parents take them home, encourage them to make a choice of a private venue or encourage churches to absorb their flock in raising their children in the way they should go. County military schools would be interesting with screens for students ruling out those prone to violence or obsessed with guns. County boarding schools to deal with the homeless might be feasible given changing population dynamics.

Options for non-college, well paid employability should include trades such as appliance repair, carpenters, or mechanics. Caregivers and service workers aren’t highly skilled but will be abundant though not well compensated.

When serving as a member of a county school board, I was appalled by the numbers of children taking drugs such as Ritalin or other stimulants without proof that such diagnosis had been medically made. Approximately 10 percent of our primary grade students were on some type of medicine many of which were controlled drugs with inadequate numbers of nurses for their administration. The number of school psychologists was often less than desired with testing taking semesters for availability. Frightening is the number of people feeling it is okay to smoke pot giving us another generation of drug-babies likely from existing parents who were products of free love and excessive drugs.

Everyone wants to make society’s problems a medical issue some of which mental health covers. The reality, most mental illness is not curable but designed to make people more socially or societally adaptable. An inescapable likelihood is that mental illness has a genetic basis more powerful than environmental interactions. My father use to say the most important decision you will make is with whom you plan to have children for that shows up in the people we produce. Children are not a right, but a major responsibility which too many neglect expecting society to clean up their messes or pick up their burdens when the going gets tough.

Dr. Ada M. Fisher was the first black woman to serve as the Republican National Committeewoman. She was a candidate for the U.S. Senate from North Carolina, a candidate for U.S. Congress, and a candidate for the North Carolina House of Representatives. She is the author of "Common Sense Conservative Prescriptions Solutions for What Ails Us, Book I." For more of her reports, Go Here Now.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

1Like our page
The recent shoot-up at another school raises the specter of children in rage and out of control.
parkland, shooting, parenting, schooling
Thursday, 15 February 2018 03:28 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved