The Rev. Franklin Graham Saturday ripped California legislators for a proposal that would exempt faith-based universities from state anti-discrimination laws on sexual orientation, gender identity and religion — leaving them vulnerable to lawsuits or to losing financial assistance.
"The anti-Christian movement in America is relentless," Graham said on Facebook
. "Now the California state legislature wants to force Christian Universities … to conform to secular standards."
Graham is the president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and the Samaritan's Purse global charity.
Under the amendment to the Equity in Higher Education Act, Christian schools could not discriminate against a student or employee based on these factors and would also narrow the religious freedom that undergirds these institutions, Christianity Today reports.
The amendment has passed the California State Senate. It awaits action in the House. The Golden State has more than 40 religious higher-educational institutions.
Graham charged in his post that the under the proposal, religious schools would:
- "No longer be able to require a profession of faith from their students."
- "Not be able to require Biblical courses or offer pastoral care"
- "Not be able to integrate faith into the teaching curriculum."
- "Not be able to require students to attend chapel."
- "Not be able to lead faith-based community service programs for their athletic programs."
- "Be forced follow the state's bathroom laws, allowing students to use the restroom of their gender identity rather than biological sex."
- "Be required to allow clubs to operate on campus that do not align with biblical teaching and tenets of the faith (such as LGBT)."
"Isn’t this unbelievable?" Graham asked. "In effect, we would no longer have Christian universities in this state — and unfortunately this secularism is like an evil plague that spreads.
"Everything bearing the 'Name of God' or 'His Son Jesus Christ' is being targeted today.
"These legislators are in public office because the people voted for them," he continued. "We as Christians can change that.
"That's why it is so important that we pray and know who we're voting for and what they stand for."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.