Tags: mila kunis | hollywood | sexism | essay

Mila Kunis Slams Hollywood Sexism

Image: Mila Kunis Slams Hollywood Sexism

Mila Kunis, a cast member in "Bad Moms," poses at the premiere of the film at the Mann Village Theatre on Tuesday, July 26, 2016, in Los Angeles. (Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

By    |   Friday, 04 Nov 2016 06:23 AM

Mila Kunis slammed Hollywood sexism in an open letter posted on the website A Plus Wednesday, saying that she will longer stay silent on the issue.

Kunis wrote that she formed her own production company, Orchard Farm Productions, with three other women in hope of being treated on the same level as men in Hollywood, Variety noted.

Kunis wrote on A Plus, a media site cofounded by husband and fellow actor Ashton Kutcher, that she was threatened at one time by a producer who said she'd "never work in this town again" because she would not "pose half-naked" for a men's magazine cover to promote a movie.

"I was livid, I felt objectified, and for the first time in my career I said 'no,'" Kunis wrote. "And guess what? The world didn't end. The film made a lot of money and I did work in this town again, and again, and again. What this producer may never realize is that he spoke aloud the exact fear every woman feels when confronted with gender bias in the workplace."

Kunis is following in the footsteps of Academy Award winner Patricia Arquette, who called for equal rights for women in her Oscar speech in 2015, E! News reported. Another Oscar winner, Jennifer Lawrence, more specifically addressed pay inequity between male and female actors in Lena Dunham's website Lenny last year.

"Throughout my career, there have been moments when I have been insulted, sidelined, paid less, creatively ignored, and otherwise diminished based on my gender," Kunis wrote on A Plus. "And always, I tried to give people the benefit of the doubt; maybe they knew more, maybe they had more experience, maybe there was something I was missing.

"… But the older I got and the longer I worked in this industry, the more I realized that it's bull****! And, worse, that I was complicit in allowing it to happen," she continued.

Kunis wrote on A Plus that her production company recently signed a partnership on a project that would focus on "inclusivity and our shared human experience." She added that she wants to create an environment for growth and opportunity.

"If this is happening to me, it is happening more aggressively to women everywhere," Kunis wrote. "I am fortunate that I have reached a place that I can stop compromising and stand my ground, without fearing how I will put food on my table. I am also fortunate that I have the platform to talk about this experience in the hope of bringing one more voice to the conversation so that women in the workplace feel a little less alone and more able to push back for themselves."

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Mila Kunis slammed Hollywood sexism in an open letter posted on the website A Plus Wednesday, saying that she will longer stay silent on the issue.
mila kunis, hollywood, sexism, essay
449
2016-23-04
Friday, 04 Nov 2016 06:23 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved