The 9/11 Memorial in New York was evacuated on Sunday afternoon after visitors reported breathing noxious fumes.
CBS News reported
that the fumes turned out to be an excess of chemicals regularly added to the reflection pools to kill algae. At the time, many said the fumes smelled strongly of chlorine.
"Suddenly, my throat started burning and I sat down and drank my water," said one visitor, Maria Hollowell.
After the memorial plaza was cleared by the New York Police Department, the city's Department of Environmental Protection tested the water and confirmed the chemical smell was the result of the anti-algae treatment.
"When it gets too much, especially on a hot day like today, it probably aerosolized, so there have been more coming off in the air," explained Dr. Michael Caldwell, the former Health Commissioner for New York's Dutchess County. "And with a bunch of people here on a Sunday, there are more people being affected."
A spokesperson for the 9/11 Memorial said that Saturday night rain likely contributed to the problem.
After the problem was assessed, it was deemed safe for visitors to re-enter the plaza.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.