The Senate Intelligence Committee has asked former Trump campaign adviser Roger Stone to preserve any documents he might have as part of its investigation into the Russian-related activities in last year's election.
The committee made the request to Stone in a letter obtained and reported by Maggie Haberman of The New York Times.
Stone confirmed the letter, dated Feb. 17, but said he had first received it by email on Friday.
It was signed by Intelligence Committee Chairman Sen. Richard Burr, the North Carolina Republican, and ranking Democratic Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia. Their representatives declined to comment.
The letter "represents the first public indication of the scope of the committee’s inquiry, and possible connections to Mr. Trump’s campaign," Haberman reports.
Stone was asked to "preserve and retain all hard copies and electronically stored information as specified below in furtherance of the committee’s ongoing investigation into Russian actions targeting the 2016 U.S. elections and democratic processes globally," according to the letter.
Stone, 64, who left the Trump campaign in August 2015, has acknowledged that he has traded Twitter messages with Guccifer 2.0, whom U.S. officials believe to be Russian intelligence officers.
He told NBC's "Today" last month that he had not been involved with Russian intelligence officials during or after the campaign.
Stone also told anchor Matt Lauer that he had not been approached by the FBI or any other government or congressional agency concerning a possible probe, including one involving Russia's hacking into the Democratic National Committee and other party operatives last year.
"They'd be pretty bored if they wanted to look at my e-mails or transmissions because they won't have anything of this nature," he told Lauer in an interview. "I have no Russian clients. I've never been in touch with anyone in Russia."
In an August 2016 Twitter post, Stone said that John Podesta, Hillary Clinton's campaign manager, would soon face his "time in the barrel."
The tweet came two months before Podesta's hacked emails were published by WikiLeaks.
Stone has since maintained that he was alluding to business activities he attributed to Podesta, not prior knowledge of the hackings, according to the Times report.
He told Haberman Saturday that he was eager to work with legislators.
"I am anxious to rebut allegations that I had any improper or nefarious contact with any agent of the Russian state based on facts, not misleading and salacious headlines," Stone said, adding, "I am willing to appear voluntarily if the committee isn’t looking for the headline of issuing a subpoena."
He added that he has retained two lawyers in the effort, seeking to get federal investigators to come forward with their information or say that that no case exists.
"The intelligence agencies pushing this false Russian narrative through a series of illegal leaks have hurt my ability to make a living and are soiling my reputation," Stone said. "The government is in possession of no evidence whatsoever that shows that I colluded with the Russian state."
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.