Vice President Mike Pence Wednesday declined to say whether the United States had any role in North Korea's failed missile test over the weekend and said that "the patience of the U.S. and its allies in this region has really run out — and we're beginning to take such measures diplomatically to isolate Pyongyang."
"The president's vision for this is very straightforward," Pence told CNN's Dana Bash in an interview in Tokyo. "We are going to make it clear to the regime in Pyongyang that the days of broken promises, the days of running out the clock on agreements with the wider world are over.
"When you look at two nuclear tests in the last year alone, you look at an unprecedented number of ballistic missile launches, there's no question that North Korea represents the most dangerous and most immediate threat in the Asian pacific.
"President [Donald] Trump is determined to confront that threat by marshaling unprecedented cooperation of our allies in the region and China and the world."
North Korea launched a missile Sunday from the country's east coast as part of its celebration of the 105th anniversary of its founder, Kim Il Sung.
The missile exploded within seconds — and a former British foreign minister opined that the device might have failed because of a cyberattack by the United States.
Pence, who is on a 10-day visit to Asia, declined Wednesday to disclose whether the U.S. had any role in Pyongyang's missile failure.
"I really can't comment on the electronic or technological capabilities of our military," Pence told Bash. "We certainly recognize that that was a failed missile test.
"It failed almost immediately, just like another test."
When Bash asked again about any possible American involvement, Pence responded: "I can't comment either way.
"What I can say is, failed or not, it was one more provocation by a regime that continues to flout the views of the international community — and it's got to the come to an end."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.