Donald Trump is denying a CNN report
that Fox News chairman Roger Ailes threatened to "go to war" with him unless the billionaire developer stopped attacking the cable network's star journalist Megyn Kelly.
"That story was a false story. Roger couldn't have been nicer," Trump said Friday in an exclusive interview with "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV.
"Roger knows that's not the way to talk to me because if people talk to me that way, you know what happens."
Story continues below video.
Watch Newsmax TV on DirecTV Ch. 349, DISH Ch. 223 and Verizon FiOS Ch. 115. Get Newsmax TV on your cable system — Click Here Now
The controversy erupted when Trump took exception to Kelly's first question during last week's Republican presidential debate, asking him about past comments referring to particular women as "fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals."
Trump later fired back, ripping Kelly for being a "lightweight,"
adding, "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever." The crack was seeing by some as being a reference to Kelly's menstrual cycle.
Trump then called on Kelly to apologize to him — a demand that CNN said was the last straw for Ailes, who then threatened "war" with Trump.
"It's not the way he deals with me, certainly. Roger's a terrific guy. He called me up on a Saturday and he said 'how do we get this thing solved?'" Trump told Steve Malzberg.
"Because look, I was asked some very inappropriate questions, in particular the one by Megyn Kelly and I'm OK with it. The main reason I'm OK is very simply everybody said I won the debate.
"The Drudge site did the poll and Time Magazine did the poll and they did many, many polls. Even the front page of The New York Times, they had 'Trump dominated the debate.' They were really tough questions and inappropriate but you know, who am I to say?"
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.