Former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton told Fox News that the initial response to the hacking of Sony Pictures' computer system wasn't good, but is getting better.
Bolton last week said
the United States was woefully unprepared for such an attack, but added he was happy it at least happened to a "trivial" industry rather than major infrastructures such as banking or the power grid.
Sony initially pulled its comedy "The Interview" from theaters after threats of physical violence if it was shown. The movie depicts an assassination plot against North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.
Sony on Tuesday announced the movie will be shown at about 200 independent theaters
and hinted that it might show up as video-on-demand.
The FBI says it has proof North Korea, likely unhappy with a satirical take on an assassination of its leader, was behind the cyberattack. North Korea has denied involvement, but praised the hackers.
President Barack Obama said last week the United States would have a proportional response to the attack on American free speech, but would not elaborate on what that might be.
Bolton, appearing Tuesday on Fox News Channel's "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren,"
agreed with Obama's move.
"Let's keep the North Koreans guessing," he said.
He said the United States should have "a very vigorous response," not only because of the Sony attack, but to set up structures to prevent North Korea and others from considering cyberattacks in the future.
North Korea's entire Internet shut down on Monday and again on Tuesday, but assistant State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf refused to confirm or deny any U.S. involvement.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.