As Swami Vivekananda said, “Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in eternal awareness or pure consciousness without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.”
Meditation is a spiritual act that connects you with the divine soul and helps you remain focused in everything you do in life and bestows benefits to your mind, body, and soul. Many meditative techniques benefit mental health as well as physical health and help you grow in a broader sense by cultivating a divine spirit with an impressive mind and body. Among various techniques of meditation, vipassana is a technique that helps growing wholesomeness. We will discuss vipassana as well as study the five major health benefits of meditation and vipassana.
The Concept of Meditation
Meditation is a pure state of immense peace when the mind of the person meditating remains calm and quiet in an alert condition. The whole concept of meditation can be summarized in one line, i.e., “Take a deep breath and relax with a peaceful, silent mind and watch the melting of your stress and grow by spiritual means and remain blessed with good physical and psychological health.” There are many techniques involved in meditative practices such as yoga. Each of these techniques has its respective beneficial roles in enhancing a person’s health.
A Brief Note on Vipassana
The term vipassana comes from the combination of two terms; i.e. vi (in various ways) and passana (seeing). The vipassana meditation, also termed as mindfulness or wholesomeness in mind that helps you remain safe from all mental impurities and evade pain and stress from the mind. Vipassana meditation techniques benefit mental health and aid in treating many illnesses of the mind including irritation, anger, hatred, and delusion. This technique expects you to sit down in a calm place at a comfortable position, close your eyes, and focus on the object for maximum psychological and spiritual benefit.
Five Major Benefits of Meditation
These techniques help in transforming yourself via self-observation. Here are the five crucial health benefits of practicing meditation techniques such as vipassana.
- Lowers stress and anger while maintaining emotional balance: These techniques benefit mental health. The vipassana technique reduces stress and unpleasant emotions like anger. Thus, it benefits a person’s mental health. Meditative techniques like vipassana also aid in maintaining emotional balance and treat neurosis and other unhealthy emotional conditions.
- Increases fertility: Stress can cause lower sperm count in men. Therefore, these techniques are beneficial in enhancing fertility in men. It has also been reported that practicing the self-transforming technique of meditation can also help women remain stress-free during their monthly periods and increase the chances of conception.
- Enhances the immune system: Reduction of stress helps in increasing immunity. Practicing various effective meditation techniques can improve immunity and keep you in good health condition.
- Lowers blood pressure: Daily meditation can help you lower blood pressure by making the body release less stress hormones that generally raise the BP. This is a crucial health benefit.
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory agent: Meditation techniques greatly assist in reducing and managing pain. This reduced or stress-free health condition in turn benefits in preventing several other symptoms like heart diseases, asthma, arthritis, psoriasis, etc.
Apart from the above listed health benefits, meditation is important for women’s health and pregnancy. The vipassana technique improves mental health during pregnancy as well as aids the new mothers.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.