Tags: ISIS/Islamic State | War on Terrorism | Syria | conflict | Iraq | US | troops

Top General Contradicts Obama: ISIS 'Not Contained'

Top General Contradicts Obama: ISIS 'Not Contained'

By    |   Wednesday, 02 December 2015 07:41 AM

The nation’s top general on Tuesday contradicted the commander in chief before Congress on the status of the United States’ fight against the Islamic State.

"We have not contained ISIL." General Joe Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told the House Armed Services Committee.

Dunford’s testimony comes two weeks after President Obama declared the Islamic State ‘contained.’

In an ABC News interview two weeks ago, the president said: "I don't think they're gaining strength. From the start, our goal has been first to contain, and we have contained them. They have not gained ground in Iraq."

"And in Syria — they'll come in, they'll leave. But you don't see this systematic march by ISIL across the terrain," he said, using an alternate acronym for ISIS.

Dunford said ISIS has been contained "tactically" in certain areas. But, the general added: "Strategically they have spread since 2010."

Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Tuesday refused to characterize the U.S. as winning the war against ISIS.

When asked by Congressman Michael Turner of Ohio if the United States was winning "now," Carter would say only that "we will win."

Dunford did say more than 40 percent of ISIS' oil revenue has been affected by U.S.-led strikes over the past month.

"We estimate that approximately 43 percent of the revenue stream that ISIL derives from oil has been affected over the past 30 days," he said.

Speaking to lawmakers in the House Armed Services Committee, the Pentagon chief said he was deploying a "specialized expeditionary targeting force" to Iraq to work alongside local Iraqi and Kurdish peshmerga forces battling the ISIS.

The jihadists captured vast areas of territory and several key cities across Iraq and Syria last year, and the United States and its allies have been struggling to defeat them ever since.

The Obama administration — cautious after the war in Iraq — initially ruled out "boots-on-the-ground" deployments to fight the IS group, and depended on air power to attack the jihadists, leading a coalition of nations in bombing them since August last year.

But there is growing acknowledgement in the Pentagon that it is impossible to effectively fight the ISIS group without some US ground presence.

Officials in October announced the deployment of 50 special operations forces to work with anti-IS fighters in Syria and help glean intelligence and identify targets for US and coalition bombers to strike.

Citing security concerns, Carter was evasive when asked how many additional special forces troops would go to Iraq, but said it would be a "larger number" than the 50 in Syria. The United States currently already has about 3,500 troops in Iraq, but their mission is to "train and advise" local forces.

A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, later told AFP the number would be about 200.

Though the new troops will be based in Iraq, they will have the ability to conduct raids across the border in northern Syria.

"These special operators will over time be able to conduct raids, free hostages, gather intelligence, and capture ISIL leaders," Carter said.

"This force will also be in a position to conduct unilateral operations into Syria."

Carter, who is Obama's fourth defense secretary and began his job in February, said the move would put ISIS leaders "on notice."

"You don't know at night who is going to be coming in the window," he said. "That's the sensation that we want all of ISIL's leadership and followers to have."

He cited a raid in October in which US Special Operations forces and Kurdish peshmerga troops stormed an IS-run prison near Hawijah in northern Iraq, freeing some 70 captives who were facing imminent execution. One US troop died in the operation.

Carter also hinted he might send additional special forces to Syria, beyond the 50 already disclosed.

"We're prepared to do more," he said. "I have every reason to believe the president will allow us to do more and authorize us to do more when we have more opportunities."

U.S. lawmakers regularly summon Pentagon officials to testify about the progress of the effort to counter IS jihadists.

Though about 65 nations are in the U.S.-led coalition, American warplanes and drones do the lion's share of work.

Speaking more than two weeks after terror attacks in Paris left 130 dead, Carter called on international powers to ramp up efforts to defeat ISIS.

"The international community — including our allies and partners — has to step up before another attack like Paris," he said.

"The more contributions we receive from other nations, the greater combat power we can achieve using our own force."

His comments come as the British parliament prepares to debate whether the Royal Air Force should start bombing in Syria.

Republican Senator John McCain, a longtime critic of the anti-IS strategy, called the deployment of additional troops a "belated step forward."

"However, today's announcement is yet another reactive and incremental step," he said.

Material from Reuters, AFP and The Associated Press was used in this report.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Headline
The nation's top general on Tuesday contradicted the commander in chief before Congress on the status of the United States' fight against the Islamic State.
Syria, conflict, Iraq, US, troops
828
2015-41-02
Wednesday, 02 December 2015 07:41 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved