Tags: Ferguson in Crisis | Bob McCulloch | Michael Brown | Darren Wilson | indict

Giuliani: 'Not Unique' for Prosecutor Not to Push to Indict

By    |   Tuesday, 25 November 2014 06:14 PM

Former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani on Tuesday defended St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Bob McCulloch's decision not to push a grand jury to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the Michael Brown case.

Attorneys for Brown's family and activists such as the Rev. Al Sharpton have said the grand jury would have handed up an indictment if McCulloch had pushed for one rather than simply presenting evidence.

Giuliani, a former federal prosecutor, told CNN that it was "unusual but not unique" to present a case to a grand jury without recommending an indictment.

"It's unusual because most of the time you're certain that the person is guilty. But in a situation where you are not, this is not at all unusual," Giuliani told CNN's "The Lead with Jake Tapper."

The former mayor said that 95 percent of the time, the grand jury's purpose is to indict the person the prosecutor wants indicted. The other 5 percent of the time, its job is to help a prosecutor determine whether there is evidence to charge a person

Giuliani said he once had such a grand jury investigate a case for him for three years.

"This is a situation in which I don't think the prosecutor knew himself what the right answer was, so he presented it to a grand jury," he said. He said he has read much of the testimony from the Brown case and "there's no question they couldn't indict."

There were "many conflicting stories," he noted. He said that "means you couldn't possibly prove this case."

Witness No. 10's testimony corroborates everything Wilson said, Giuliani said. That witness said he came forward because he was tired of people saying Brown raised his hands.

Giuliani added that at least four people perjured themselves by saying Brown was shot in the back when forensic evidence proved he wasn't.

"Do you know how powerful that testimony would be at a trial and how it would destroy any ability to win this case?" he said.

Giuliani said people should be allowed to protest the decision, but criticized those who he said organized rioting.

"This is a very well organized form of racial arson," he said, adding that many of the signs used in the protest were printed days in advance.

He said he had protests as mayor but never riots, because he had learned from the mistakes of the past.

He said police made a terrible mistake in backing off in Ferguson.

"The first person who throws a stone, the first person who breaks a window, the first person who lights a fire should get arrested," he said.

People have a right to protest, yell, scream, even taunt the police, he said, but not to riot.

"They certainly don't have a right to burn down the stores of their very own people," he said.

© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Headline
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani on Tuesday defended St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Bob McCulloch's decision not to push a grand jury to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the Michael Brown case.
Bob McCulloch, Michael Brown, Darren Wilson, indict
474
2014-14-25
Tuesday, 25 November 2014 06:14 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved