GMOs or genetically modified organisms, are well-integrated into the food system in the United States, but more and more people are questioning the environmental and health safety of these agricultural products.
If you've made the decision to erase GMOs from your diet, here are nine foods that usually contain GMOs:
Special: GMO Foods: Are We Unknowingly Poisoning Our Families?
1. Canned soups. Most soups contain GMOs in one or more of the products used to make them, such as corn syrup and vegetable oil.
2. Anything sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. According to the Non-GMO Project,
88 percent of the corn crop is from GMOs.
3. About 90 percent of canola crops (think canola oil) are grown from genetically modified organisms.
4. Baby formula often contains soy and milk products, both of which are part of the GMO system. For milk, the cows are often fed corn, which is impacted by GMOs in the corn crop. Also, many are injected with a genetically modified hormone. In soy, Non-GMO Project says 94 percent of the soy crop is GMOs.
5. Hawaii's papaya crop is 77 percent GMOs, according to Mother Jones.
Special: Are We Unknowingly Poisoning Our Families With GMO Foods?
6. Zucchini and yellow summer squash are both likely to have been grown from GMOs.
7. Watch your wine. Genetically modified yeast may be used to make wine. Although, according to the Seattle Organic Restaurants website
, The Wine Institute in California recommended against its use.
8. Sugarbeets or genetically modified sugar beets "make up half of the U.S. sugar production and 95 percent of the country's sugar beet market," says the Huffington Post.
9. Alfalfa was approved in 2011 of having GMOs. According to the Huffington Post,
"they consist of a gene that makes it resistant to the herbicide Roundup, allowing farmers to spray the chemical without damaging it."
This article is for information only and is not intended as medical advice. Talk with your doctor about your specific health and medical needs.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.