Tags: yemen | villages | rebels.bombing

Yemen Rebels Claim U.S. Bombed Villages

Thursday, 17 Dec 2009 10:53 AM


SANAA — Shiite rebels on Wednesday accused the US air force of bombing villages in northern Yemen amid their conflict with government forces and neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

The Sanaa government swiftly dismissed the charge as a sign of the rebels' desperation, while Washington has already ruled out any direct involvement in the conflict.

"The American air force committed massacres ... and used all types of military weapons to destroy villages and houses and schools and public facilities and to kill civilians," the rebels said in a statement.

"Direct American intervention began early last week, and bombing of various areas of north Yemen continues until now," it said.

The rebels, also known as Huthis, have been fighting the Yemeni government on and off since 2004. In August, government forces launched an all-out offensive codenamed "Operation Scorched Earth" aimed at wiping out the revolt.

Saudi Arabia joined the fray on November 4, a day after the Huthi rebels killed a Saudi border guard and occupied two villages inside the Gulf state's territory.

The Huthis' statement on Wednesday was not their first such allegation against the United States.

To read full AFP story — Go Here Now.



© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1Like our page
2Share
MiddleEast
yemen,villages,rebels.bombing
192
2009-53-17
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved