Tags: ML | Islamic State | ISIS

Fierce Clashes in Iraq as ISIS Seizes Villages Near Ramadi

Wednesday, 15 Apr 2015 08:34 AM

The Islamic State group launched an offensive in Iraq's western Anbar province on Wednesday, capturing three villages near the provincial capital of Ramadi where fierce clashes were underway between the extremists and government troops, residents said.

The dawn push by ISIS seized the villages of Sjariyah, Albu-Ghanim and Soufiya, which had been under government control till now, the residents said. Fighting was also taking place on the eastern edges of Ramadi, about two kilometers (mile) away from local government building, they added.

In Soufiya, the militants bombed a police station and took over a power plant. The residents, who spoke on condition of anonymity fearing for their own safety, said airstrikes were trying to back up Iraqi troops. Iraqi security officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Around noon Wednesday, the militants opened another front with the government troops on three other villages, to the northeast of Ramadi, the residents also said.

The Islamic State's push comes as ISIS was dealt a major blow earlier this month, when Iraqi troops pushed the group out of Tikrit, Saddam Hussein's hometown.

Defense Ministry spokesman, Brig. Gen. Tahseen Ibrahim, acknowledged on Wednesday that Islamic State militants "gained a foothold in some areas" in Anbar. But he said reinforcements were dispatched to the province and that U.S.-led coalition airstrikes were supporting the Iraqi forces.

"The situation is under control and the standoff will be resolved in the coming hours," Ibharim told The Associated Press.

The fighting coincides with Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi's visit to Washington where he met with President Barack Obama on Tuesday and appealed for greater support from the U.S.-led coalition carrying out airstrikes against IS militants, who have also captured large areas in neighboring Syria.

Also, a spate of militant attack in and outside Baghdad killed at least 43 people over the past two days.

Meanwhile, Iraqi state TV cited Lt. Gen. Abdul-Wahab al-Saadi, the regional commander of troops in Salahuddin province as saying that troops started a large-scale operation to recapture areas beyond Tikrit. The TV did not provide more details.

Last year's blitz by the Islamic State, which swept through key areas in the north and west to seize about a third of Iraq, has pushed the country into its worst crisis since the 2011 withdrawal of U.S. troops.

© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 
1Like our page
2Share
MiddleEast
The Islamic State group launched an offensive in Iraq's western Anbar province on Wednesday, capturing three villages near the provincial capital of Ramadi where fierce clashes were underway between the extremists and government troops, residents said.
ML, Islamic State, ISIS
382
2015-34-15
Wednesday, 15 Apr 2015 08:34 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved