Tags: WHO | Health | fund | emergency

WHO Boss Chan Launches $100 Million Health Emergency Fund

Monday, 18 May 2015 10:12 AM

World Health Organization director-general Margaret Chan announced on Monday that she was establishing a $100 million contingency fund to ensure that the U.N. agency has the resources to respond immediately to a major crisis.

Admitting that the WHO had been "overwhelmed" by the Ebola epidemic in West Africa, Chan also told its annual meeting that she was creating a new program for health emergencies linking its three levels - country, regional and Geneva headquarters.

"I do not ever again want to see this Organization faced with a situation it is not prepared, staffed, funded, or administratively set up to manage," Chan told health ministers. "I plan to complete these changes by the end of the year."

© 2017 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
GlobalTalk
World Health Organization director-general Margaret Chan announced on Monday that she was establishing a $100 million contingency fund to ensure that the U.N. agency has the resources to respond immediately to a major crisis.
WHO, Health, fund, emergency
116
2015-12-18
Monday, 18 May 2015 10:12 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved