Tags: Nigeria | unrest | kidnapping

Nigeria Military 'ignored Schoolgirl Kidnap Warning': Amnesty

Friday, 09 May 2014 03:38 PM

Nigeria's military was warned of an attack on a school in which more than 200 girls were abducted by Boko Haram Islamists but failed to act for nearly five hours, Amnesty International said Friday.

The allegation, which the military has denied, came as U.S., British and French experts arrived on the ground to help trace the schoolgirls and Nigeria said a round-the-clock search was under way.

At least 10 army search teams were trying to track down the girls in the remote far northeast. Bbrder guards were on high alert, and the air force had so far flown at least 250 sorties.

Nigeria is keen to demonstrate that it is finally acting to trace the 223 girls still missing, after three weeks where the teenagers' parents and families accused them of inaction and indifference.

But Amnesty's claims are likely to heap further pressure on Nigeria's embattled government and military.

Hundreds of people from the girls' home town of Chibok, in northeastern Borno state, took to the streets of the state capital, Maiduguri, to vent their frustrations at the lack of immediate action.

At the same time, Nelson Mandela's widow Graca Machel broke her customary mourning period to plead for the girls' safe return.

 

 

Amnesty said that from 7:00 pm on April 14, military commanders had repeated warnings about an impending raid in Chibok.

Two senior military officers said not enough troops could be found to head to the town to stave off the attack, as soldiers were reluctant to face terrorists who were better equipped.

About 200 armed Boko Haram fighters eventually abducted 276 girls at about 11:45 pm after fighting a small number of police and soldiers stationed in the town.

Amnesty's Africa director for research and advocacy, Netsanet Belay, described the situation as a "gross dereliction of Nigeria's duty to protect civilians", adding that people remained "sitting ducks" for future attacks.

"The fact that Nigerian security forces knew about Boko Haram's impending raid but failed to take the immediate action needed to stop it will only amplify the national and international outcry at this horrific crime," he said.

"The Nigerian leadership must now use all lawful means at their disposal to secure the girls' safe release and ensure nothing like this can happen again."

Defense spokesman Chris Olukolade told AFP that Amnesty's allegation was "unfounded, as usual".

"The report is just a collation of rumours," he said.

 

 

The girls' abduction and threat by Boko Haram's leader Abubakar Shekau in a video that he would sell them as slaves has triggered world outrage and a groundswell of calls for action on social networks.

The U.S. team comprises seven military officials from the U.S. Africa regional command, a State Department expert and three FBI personnel, who arrived on Friday, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

Four others from the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development are due to arrive Saturday.

"They'll be providing technical and investigatory assistance, helping with hostage negotiations, advising on military planning and operations and assisting with intelligence and information," she said.

Psaki called the search "challenging," while Secretary of State John Kerry tweeted that it was "too early to conclude" that the girls would be found.

Britain has deployed defense ministry personnel, the Foreign Office said, while French diplomatic sources said a small team is also in Abuja and surveillance equipment is being sent.

China and Interpol have also pledged expert support for the rescue efforts, amid growing international awareness of Nigeria's Islamist uprising, which has killed thousands since 2009.

Nigeria is Africa's biggest economy, leading oil producer and most populous nation, with the continent's biggest defense budget by far.

It has in the past resisted security cooperation with the West.

But outrage over the plight of the hostages has prompted President Goodluck Jonathan to welcome offers of assistance, which has been seen as a tacit admission that it requires help to put down the insurgency.

 

 

The United Nations refugee agency said that aside from the kidnappings, focus needed to remain on Boko Haram's wider insurgency.

"The brutality and frequency of (the group's) attacks is unprecedented," it said.

Most of the recent violence has been concentrated in the northeast, where Boko Haram was founded more than a decade ago. More than 1,600 people have already been killed this year.

 

© AFP 2017

 
1Like our page
2Share
Africa
Nigeria, unrest, kidnapping
716
2014-38-09
Friday, 09 May 2014 03:38 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved