Tags: congo | rebels | clashes | resume

Clashes Between Rebels, Army Resume in Congo

Friday, 25 Oct 2013 07:07 AM

GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo — Fighting resumed Friday between the army and rebels in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, both sides and the United Nations said, just days after the latest effort at peace talks fell apart.

Clashes took place some 25 kilometers (16 miles) to the north of Goma, a strategic city of one million people in the mineral-rich but volatile east, rebel spokesman Vianney Kazarama told AFP.

Each side accused each other of starting the fresh outbreak of fighting.

"The army attacked our positions at 4:00 am," Kazarama said.

But Olivier Hamuli, spokesman for the army in the flashpoint province of North Kivu, said: "They attacked us."

A source from the U.N. peacekeeping mission in the country, MONUSCO, said the rebels carried out the first attack.

"Fighting is ongoing. These are not skirmishes," said the source, who did not wish to be named.

UN soldiers have gone into action alongside Kinshasa's troops, according to an officer in the regular army. "We are supporting [them] with part" of a U.N. intervention brigade, the MONUSCO source confirmed.

"Helicopters are ready to lend support if necessary," the source added.

"We saw UN helicopters. They were flying over Kibumba," an M23 stronghold under attack, a local human rights activist said, adding that civilians in the region were fleeing towards the border with Rwanda.

The U.N. Security Council in March approved the deployment of a special African force of up to some 3,000 troops, under MONUSCO command and led by a Tanzanian general, with an unprecedented offensive mandate to target rebel groups in the Congo.

There were no immediate reports of casualties.

On Monday, both sides announced a halt to peace talks taking place in the Ugandan capital Kampala despite U.N. pressure to end the year-and-a-half-old rebellion ravaging the eastern Congo.

According to the Congolese government, the talks were suspended due to disagreement over the extent of an amnesty for the army mutineers and their reintegration into the national army.

Backed by the international community, Congo's government is refusing to give amnesty to about 80 leaders of the M23 rebels and to enlist these men into military ranks.

In a statement Friday, M23's political spokesman Amani Kabasha accused the Kinshasa government of carrying out a "wholesale sabotage of the peace process in Kampala".

Members of the M23 group are mainly Tutsi fighters from an earlier rebellion who were incorporated into the army in 2009 and then mutinied in 2012, claiming that Kinshasa had failed to keep its part of a peace deal.

The rebels took control of Goma, capital of North Kivu province, for more than a week late last year before withdrawing under international pressure.

Kinshasa has long accused Rwanda of pulling the strings behind the rebellion and U.N. experts have even said that the M23's "de facto chain of command" was topped by Rwanda's defense minister.

The human rights activist said that at Kabagana, close by the Rwandan border, he saw Rwandan troops "coming in . . . to reinforce the M23."

Kigali has vehemently denied accusations that it is arming, financing the rebels — and even supporting them with its own forces.

© AFP 2017

 
1Like our page
2Share
Africa
congo,rebels,clashes,resume
1950
2013-07-25
Friday, 25 Oct 2013 07:07 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved