Tags: Homeland Security | War on Terrorism | Program | Noncitizens | Military

Military to Resume Program to Attract Non-Citizens

By    |   Friday, 26 Dec 2014 04:22 PM

A program designed to attract highly skilled non-citizens to the U.S. military halted last fall after it was opened up to some undocumented immigrants, is back on track to resume in a few weeks.

Margaret Stock, an immigration lawyer and retired Army lieutenant colonel who designed the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest program six years ago, said it should be up and running in January at the latest, Military.com reports.

The Defense Department has yet to confirm the timetable.

"I heard about it from some folks at the Pentagon. There's no public [U.S. Army Recruiting Command] message yet," Stock says, the website reports.

The popular program had been suspended while the Army said it was fine-tuning screening procedures. In September, the Pentagon changed policy to allow into the program immigrants shielded from deportation by the Obama administration's 2012 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

"DoD has set the overall fiscal year quota for MAVNI at 1,500, and the Army has been allocated 1,300 slots for now," Stock wrote on the blog for her Alaska-based law firm, Cascadia Cross Border Law Group, Military.com reports.

The Army has used the program more extensively than other branches of the services, the website reports.

According to Military.com, most applicants have been doctors who enlist in the Army Reserve and get an officer's commission once they attain U.S. citizenship. Foreign nationals who come in under the program don't have to apply for a green card and have their citizenship process expedited, Military.com notes.

The skills the Army will be looking for include doctors and "critical language speakers," including those fluent in Korean, Chinese, Tagalog, Russian, and Portuguese, Military.com reports.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
US
A program designed to attract highly skilled noncitizens to the U.S. military - halted last fall after it was opened up to some undocumented immigrants, is back on track to resume in a few weeks.
Program, Noncitizens, Military
276
2014-22-26
Friday, 26 Dec 2014 04:22 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved