Tags: police | new york | drug dealers | 40 | younger

NYPD Officers Told to Focus on Drug Dealers 40 and Younger

By    |   Wednesday, 20 May 2015 01:57 PM

Drug dealers and users older than 40 in New York may be getting a free pass these days under the terms of a controversial memo issued by the Police Department's Narcotics Division commanding officer Brian McCarthy.

The New York Post obtained the May 14 memo, which excoriates officers who have ignored earlier directives and arrested older drug dealers and users, and sets up strict reporting procedures to control those arrests.

The memo states, "A previous topic of discussion has been the need to target violent offenders who are 18 to 40 years of age. It has been well documented that the individuals in this age demographic are responsible for the majority of violent crime.

"However, a recent review of the Division's arrests revealed a lack of commitment to this endeavor."

The action is being taken, the Post reports, to deal with a rise in the number of narcotics-related shootings, which are deemed more likely if the perpetrators are between 18 to 40 years old. Shootings are up 7 percent so far in 2015 over 2014, and 12 percent over the last month, the Post reported.

Under the terms of the memo, commanders must file weekly reports of every arrest of a person over 40, the Post reported.

New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton told Capitol New York that the Post's report was "very significantly misrepresenting" the department's intent.

Bratton told reporters that "officers are not ignoring other types of arrests" but are instructed "to go where we will have the maximum impact with our resources.

"We are very concerned with the gun violence in the city, particularly gun violence related to narcotics activities," Bratton said.

He stated that the NYPD is "continuing to focus, rather than casting a wide net, focus our resources where they can do the most good."

However, the Post said that the memorandum "makes it all but impossible for cops to bust older drug suspects."

New York's finest are upset by the directive. One sergeant who had arrested four suspects over 40 years old reportedly was threatened with a transfer and disciplinary action, an officer told the Post.

"I'm blindsided by this," he said. "I don’t even know what to say. We’re letting criminals go. Crime is going to skyrocket."

Another cop told the Post, "You’re telling us not to lock these people up. However, the people over 40, they could be your burglars, they could be responsible for car break-ins, they could be responsible for robberies."

NYPD spokesman Stephen Davis told the Post, "We identified the core group of people committing the violence in certain areas was in the 18- to 35-year range. Since a fair amount of the violence is related to drug activity, our narcotics division was told to focus their efforts on those core areas and core groups."

He insisted that police "were never instructed to disregard crimes being committed by people of a certain age. No one was told that if you see someone committing a crime, and he happens to be 42 years old, that he gets a pass. That’s not the case."

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
US
Drug dealers and users older than 40 in New York may be getting a free pass these days under the terms of a controversial memo issued by the Police Department's Narcotics Division commanding officer Brian McCarthy.
police, new york, drug dealers, 40, younger
513
2015-57-20
Wednesday, 20 May 2015 01:57 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved