Tags: Marijuana Legalization | NYT | Dowd | Colorado | pot

NYT's Maureen Dowd Learns Dangers of Edible Pot Firsthand

Image: NYT's Maureen Dowd Learns Dangers of Edible Pot Firsthand

By    |   Wednesday, 04 Jun 2014 11:30 AM

New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd learned the hard way that eating too much pot-laced candy is a frightening experience, and says some more education was needed before Colorado rolled out its legal pot edibles.

"The caramel-chocolate flavored candy bar looked so innocent, like the Sky Bars I used to love as a child," Dowd wrote in a column about her experience in a Denver hotel.

"I nibbled off the end and then, when nothing happened, nibbled some more," she wrote, saying that she figured if she was reporting on the legalization of pot, she should try some edible marijuana from a local shop.

But that bite or two turned out to be a very strange trip for the columnist, who says her usual "mundane drugs of choice" when in a hotel are "chardonnay and mediocre-movies-on-demand."

Dowd said she ended up lying in a "hallucinatory state" for eight hours, and could not move to get water or turn off the lights.

"I was panting and paranoid, sure that when the room-service waiter knocked and I didn’t answer, he’d call the police and have me arrested for being unable to handle my candy," she wrote. She also thought she'd died, but nobody told her.

The next day, Dowd learned from a medical consultant at an edibles plant that such candy bars are to be cut into 16 small pieces for novices. That wasn't on the label, Dowd said.

"I reckoned that the fact that I was not a regular marijuana smoker made me more vulnerable, and that I should have known better," she said.

But legal edibles are turning out to be more than just a tasty treat — people are dying as the state unleashes the now-legal drug on tourists of all ages, she said.

In March, Dowd wrote, a 19-year-old Wyoming college student lept from a Denver hotel's balcony after eating a pot-laced cookie with 65 milligrams of THC. In April, a Denver man shot and killed his wife while she was on the phone calling an emergency dispatcher after he ate pot-laced Karma Kandy and was talking like the world had ended.

Colorado hospitals are treating growing numbers of people of all ages who are being sickened by too-high doses of edible marijuana, the Times reported.

“We realized there was a problem because we’re watching everything with the urgency of the first people to regulate in this area,” said Andrew Freedman, the state’s director of marijuana coordination, according to Dowd's column. “There are way too many stories of people not understanding how much they’re eating."

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper and state lawmakers are working on requirements that packaging clearly makes the packaging on pot cookies and candy different from normal treats, Dowd wrote. In addition, the Department of Revenue was told to restrict the amount of such foods that can be sold at a time to one person, and Hickenlooper signed legislation requiring a special stamp to be put on pot edibles.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
US
New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd learned the hard way that eating too much pot-laced candy is a frightening experience, and says some more education was needed before Colorado rolled out its legal pot edibles.
NYT, Dowd, Colorado, pot
493
2014-30-04
Wednesday, 04 Jun 2014 11:30 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved