Tags: Lara Logan | hospitalized | Egypt | sex assault

Lara Logan Hospitalized Due to 2011 Egypt Sex Assault

Image: Lara Logan Hospitalized Due to 2011 Egypt Sex Assault
(Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 12:31 PM

"60 Minutes" correspondent Lara Logan has been admitted to a hospital with complications caused by the vicious sexual assault she suffered while filming a report in Egypt four years ago.

Breitbart News said that the producers of the CBS News show confirmed on Monday that the 44-year-old journalist, who reportedly suffers from diverticulitis, was hospitalized in Washington, D.C.

"We were sorry to hear this morning that Lara was readmitted to the hospital," a "60 Minutes" spokesman said in an email to the website. "We wish her a speedy recovery."

A close family friend of Logan, financial analyst Ed Butowsky, told Breitbart that Logan has been in the hospital at least four times this year stemming from the attack in Cairo's Tahrir Square as Egyptians celebrated the toppling of then Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak.

"Very few people know how stoic and incredibly tough this lady is," Butowsky said. "In spite of everything she's had to face in the last two years, people have no idea the physical suffering she has been enduring due to the brutal sexual assault she encountered in Egypt during the Arab Spring while reporting for 60 Minutes."

He said that "for four years since this brutal attack" Logan has been "suffering in every way, shape or form."

On Sunday, Logan won plaudits for her emotional "60 Minutes" segment on the plight of 125,000 Christians in Iraq, who have been forced to flee their homes and live as refugees since the Islamic State (ISIS) rampaged across the region.

"She did the story while ISIS was just four to six miles from where she was reporting," Butowsky said. "She did the story over the last four to six months on location in the face of ISIS all while suffering from the assault she suffered at the hands of evil forces at play during the Arab Spring."

In February, the New York Post reported that Logan was admitted to a hospital while suffering internal bleeding from diverticulitis — a potentially stress-related intestinal condition.

Breitbart reports that in 2011, Logan talked about the Egypt attack on "60 Minutes," saying, "There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying."
 
Logan was dragged away from her producer and bodyguard in the middle of filming by "a group of men who tore at her clothes and groped and beat her body," according to a report. She revealed in an interview that "they raped me with their hands."

The mother of two from Durban, South Africa, has since suffered further hardship, according to the Daily Mail.com.

After the deadly 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, Logan ran a false "60 Minutes" segment based on a first-hand account, which was later discredited. As punishment, she was suspended by producers for seven months.

And last year Logan was quarantined in a South Africa hotel for three weeks as a precaution after visiting an American-run hospital treating Ebola patients in Liberia for a "60 Minutes" report.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
US
"60 Minutes" correspondent Lara Logan has been admitted to a hospital with complications caused by the vicious sexual assault she suffered while filming a report in Egypt four years ago.
Lara Logan, hospitalized, Egypt, sex assault
498
2015-31-24
Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 12:31 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved