Tags: War on Terrorism | guantanamo bay | naval | commander | fired | investigation | misconduct

Guantanamo Bay Commander Fired for 'Misconduct'

By    |   Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 09:27 PM

The commander of the Guantanamo Bay naval base was unceremoniously yanked from his post for unspecified "misconduct" amid an ongoing Naval Criminal Investigative Service Investigation probe, Navy Times reports.

Capt. John Nettleton was removed by his boss, Rear Adm. Mary Jackson, "due to loss of confidence in Nettleton's ability to command," a news release announced.

A Navy spokesman said Jackson removed Nettleton after preliminary findings, Navy
Times reports.

The Miami Herald reports the abrupt move follows the death of a commissary
worker whose body was pulled from Guantanamo Bay Jan. 10. Christopher Tur, 42,
had been reported missing a day earlier, the Herald reports.

Base spokeswoman Kelly Wirfel told the newspaper Tur’s widow, Lara, is
director of the Fleet and Family Services Center, but wouldn't say whether she
worked for Nettleton.

Gitmo's base commander has no role in the running of the war-on-terror prison camps.

Nettleton, a pilot and native of Haines City, Fla., started his military career as a Marine enlistee in 1984, the Herald reports.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
US
The commander of the Guantanamo Bay naval base was unceremoniously yanked from his post for unspecified "misconduct" amid an ongoing Naval Criminal Investigative Service Investigation probe, Navy Times reports.
guantanamo bay, naval, commander, fired, investigation, misconduct
167
2015-27-21
Wednesday, 21 Jan 2015 09:27 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved