Tags: westboro baptist church | flag | ireland | ivory coast

Westboro Baptist Church's Flag Gaffe: Hate Group Disses Ivory Coast

By    |   Thursday, 28 May 2015 01:17 PM

The Westboro Baptist Church's attempt to criticize Ireland's legalization of same-sex marriage backfired this week when the hate group ended up dissing the Ivory Coast instead after mixing up the two countries' flags.



Though very similar to Ireland's, the orange, white, and green flag actually belongs to the Ivory Coast, according to the BBC.

When confronted about the flag confusion, Westboro first said it reverse Ireland's flag on purpose to signify that the country is in distress.



“While only about 10 percent of the population of Ireland are f**s or d***s, the other 90 percent are most assuredly their soul-condemning enablers," Westboro said in a statement, according to The Journal. "The old preachers used to say f**-enablers are worse than f**s because f**-enablers support the filthy beasts calling themselves gay, and they don’t even have the excuse of being prisoner to a vile lust."

In a Vine video, a member of the church can be seen flipping the Irish flag backwards and forwards to illustrate the "distress" of the nation.



In a last-ditch effort to save face, Westboro then declared the Ivory Coast to be beyond repair as well.



On Saturday, Ireland became the first nation in the world to legalize same-sex marriage through the process of a national popular vote, according to IrishCentral.com. The final total found that 62 percent of voters were in favor of the referendum to legalize gay marriage.

Many Twitter users spoke out against Westboro Baptist Church, including "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling.










© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
The Westboro Baptist Church's attempt to criticize Ireland's legalization of same-sex marriage backfired this week when the hate group ended up dissing the Ivory Coast instead after mixing up the two countries' flags.
westboro baptist church, flag, ireland, ivory coast
442
2015-17-28
Thursday, 28 May 2015 01:17 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved