Tags: waco | biker | shootout | charges | video | dead

Waco Biker Shootout: Despite 177 Arrests, No Charges Yet in May Melee

Image: Waco Biker Shootout: Despite 177 Arrests, No Charges Yet in May Melee
(Screen grab from CNN video)

By    |   Friday, 30 Oct 2015 02:15 PM

A Waco, Texas, restaurant was left bloodied and destroyed in May after two biker groups engaged in a shootout that left nine people dead, and five months later there have yet to be any charges files in the deaths.

Billed by CNN as "one of the bloodiest afternoons in the history of American motorcycle clubs," police confiscated 480 weapons, including 151 guns, and arrested 177 people in connection with the tragedy at the Twin Peaks restaurant.

CNN obtained copies of thousands of pages of reports generated as part of the police investigation, and dug to find out exactly what happened that day. It became clear that tension between the two motorcycle clubs, the Bandidos and the Cossacks, had been escalating for months.

Although the bikers insist their clubs are social, even philanthropic organizations, police see both as criminal gangs," CNN wrote. "Law enforcement officials call them outlaw biker clubs, among the 'one-percenters.' That label is derived from a quote that may be apocryphal but is part of biker lore that dates back to the 1960s: Someone supposedly said that 99 percent of bikers are law-abiding citizens, leaving the mayhem to the other 1 percent."

In a press release, the Bandidos denied that they started the fight and said they acted only in self-defense, CNN said.

"Members of the Bandidos were not aggressors, did not start the altercation, did not strike first, were not the first to pull weapons, and were not the first to use weapons," the club stated in its news release. "The majority of the Bandidos took cover, and all involvement in the altercation by members of the Bandidos was in self-defense."

CBS Dallas-Fort Worth released surveillance video
of the bar fight that the station said "surfaced" on Thursday.



Members of both biker clubs blame each other for starting the fight. John Wilson, head of a Waco Cossack club, told CNN, "I couldn't even see who threw the punch. But I saw our guy's head go back, and it looked like he was getting ready to punch back whoever did it and a shot went off."

"I promptly got down on that sidewalk trying to avoid being hit myself," he continued. "At that time it was pretty horrific, there were guys getting hit, falling, and I realized that I needed to get away from where I was. I looked to the guy to my left, a good friend of mine, and said, 'We need to get off the sidewalk or we are going to die here.'"

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A Waco, Texas, restaurant was left bloodied and destroyed in May after two biker groups engaged in a shootout that left nine people dead, and five months later there have yet to be any charges files in the deaths.
waco, biker, shootout, charges, video, dead
420
2015-15-30
Friday, 30 Oct 2015 02:15 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved