Eight-year-old Tyler Doohan is being hailed as a hero for saving several relatives from a burning mobile home before giving his life while trying rescue a disabled uncle.
Firefighters said Tyler was killed along with his grandfather, Louis J. Beach, 57, and Steven D. Smith, 54, in a fire that appears to have been caused by an electrical problem at the front of a mobile home in Penfield, a town in upstate New York.
Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll
The Democrat & Chronicle reported the fire broke out before 5 a.m. Monday
while the boy was visiting family for the holiday weekend.
Tyler was able to wake six people, including two other children, ages 4 and 6. The fourth-grader died when he returned to the home to help Smith, who uses a wheelchair and crutches.
Twitter was awash in comments about the loss.
The young boy’s body was reportedly found just a few feet from his disabled uncle’s bed.
Penfield Fire Chief Chris Ebmeyer said “the roof had collapsed on the front half of the trailer and one of the individuals was found there, probably on a couch, but there was nothing left to even see if it was furniture,” according to a report in The Mirror
. “In the rear, there was a bedroom and the other deceased male was found in a bed. The child was a few feet way.
“He saved those other six people.”
Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.