Tags: toxic | tea | utah | lye | video

Toxic Tea: Utah Restaurant Video Shows Moment Woman Drank Lye Tea

By    |   Monday, 06 Oct 2014 03:02 PM

A video of a Utah woman sipping a toxic iced tea mixture and then spitting it out was released recently, highlighting the August incident that sent the woman to the hospital for two weeks with severe lye burns.

Jan Harding, 67, was at a Dickey’s Barbeque restaurant in South Jordan, Utah, when the video shows she took a sip of the iced tea she had just gotten from a self-serve tea urn. She immediately spit out the tea and began repeatedly rinsing out her mouth with water.

A toxic cleaning chemical containing lye was accidentally mixed into the iced tea.

After drinking the mixture, Harding was admitted to the hospital with severe burns in her mouth, throat and esophagus that could have been fatal.

“When you watch the footage, you can see that as soon as she takes a sip, immediately, she knew something was wrong,” Paxton Guymon, the Harding family’s attorney, told Fox 13 of Salt Lake City. “You can almost see the panic on her face, too, like she doesn’t know what’s going on,” Guymon said.

Since the incident occurred, Guymon told Fox 13 the family learned that an employee of the restaurant accidentally mixed a chemical designed to clean fryers into the sugar container used to sweeten tea. The toxic container was stored in the manager’s office, Guymon said, and all the employees knew not to use it.

But the manager quit and the next day, a Dickey’s employee who was not an employee of the franchise owner, came in to keep the restaurant going, Guymon told Fox 13. That Dickey’s employee was the one shown on video using the lye mixture to make the tea on the day Harding went in the restaurant.

TM BBQ reported in August that former employee Rebecca Rackley admitted to unknowingly mixing the cleaner into the sugar, but that occurred five weeks before Harding was in the restaurant. It’s unclear why the mixture wasn’t thrown out.



© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A video of a Utah woman sipping a toxic iced tea mixture and then spitting it out was released recently, highlighting the August incident that sent the woman to the hospital for two weeks with severe lye burns.
toxic, tea, utah, lye, video
328
2014-02-06
Monday, 06 Oct 2014 03:02 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved