Tags: pit bull | saves | deaf | boy | fire

Pit Bull Saves Deaf Boy by Licking Him Awake During House Fire

By    |   Thursday, 17 Jul 2014 12:44 PM

A pit bull named Ace saved a sleeping deaf boy in Indianapolis after his house caught on fire this week.

Nick Lamb, 13, was home alone on Wednesday afternoon and sleeping without his hearing aids when his dog began licking him vigorously to wake him up, he told The Indianapolis Star.

"I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off . . . My dog Ace smelled it," Lamb said. "I just wanted to get out."

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll
 
Firefighters were called to the scene shortly after Lamb escaped to the backyard and called his mother, around 1:10 p.m. They reported that the garage was engulfed in flames when they arrived.

After the fire was put out, Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith said in a news release that, "He was thankful that Ace entered his room and licked his face until he woke up. The boy quickly covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt and exited the rear of the house."

Fire inspectors suspect the fire was started by an electric source, but said further inspection is required. The damage to the home was estimated at $175,000.

Reith said that Lamb had just returned from summer camp over the weekend, and was excited that this would be the first summer he was old enough to stay home alone. Medics examined him at the scene and determined that he had no injuries from smoke inhalation.

"It's amazing, because if he wouldn't have been there, he probably wouldn't have even woke up," Lindsay Bernard, the boy's mother, said of hero-dog Ace to WTHR Indiana.

Lamb's cat, Pixie, was also recovered from the home by firefighters, and was found to be just fine after being examined by a veterinarian.



Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A pit bull named Ace saved a sleeping deaf boy in Indianapolis after his house caught on fire this week.
pit bull, saves, deaf, boy, fire
315
2014-44-17
Thursday, 17 Jul 2014 12:44 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved