Tags: odin lloyd | text | messages | aaron hernandez

Odin Lloyd Text Messages Helped Pin Murder Charge on Aaron Hernandez

By Clyde Hughes   |   Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 01:33 PM

Text messages played a big role in authorities arresting former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez on murder charges in connection with last week's death of Boston semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.

The texts, along with cell phone records and surveillance cameras established a timeline law enforcement used to build their case against the football star, reported The Associated Press. Hernandez entered a not guilty plea during his arraignment.

AP reported that text messages placed Lloyd in the company of Hernandez right before his death.

Special: Should Gay Marriage Be Legal? Vote in Urgent Poll.

"Did you see who I was with?" Lloyd said in a message with his sister about 3:07 a.m. on June 17. "Who?" she replied, according to the AP.

Lloyd texted back at 3:23 a.m., "NFL," he texted back, then added: "Just so you know."

Prosecutor Bill McCauley said authorities believe that Lloyd was shot shortly after that text early June 17 near Hernandez's house. McCauley said Hernandez, Lloyd and two friends Hernandez had texted earlier, were all together that night, according to the AP.

McCauley said cell phone tower records and Hernandez's own surveillance system placed Hernandez and his friends entering his home shortly after workers in a nearby industrial complex heard gunshots, according to the AP.  McCauley said security cameras showed Hernandez with a weapon before the shooting.

Yahoo Sports reported that Hernandez was transported by police to his arraignment at Attleboro District Court and arrived at the courthouse Wednesday where he was denied bail. A hearing was held Thursday as Hernandez's attorney Michael Fee asked the judge to reconsider that decision.

"It is at bottom a circumstantial case. It is not a strong case," Fee said during Wednesday's hearing.

Editor's Note: Get the Navy SEALs Cap – Celebrate Our Heroes

The New England Patriots cut Hernandez shortly after he was arrested on Wednesday, according to the AP.  The 2011 Pro Bowl selection signed a five-year contract last summer worth $40 million.

"Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation," the Patriots said in a statement on its website. "We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do," the team's statement continued.

Related stories:


Bill Parcells Regrets How Things Ended With New England Patriots

Putin to Replace Super Bowl Ring, Says He Doesn't Remember Original


© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

1Like our page
2Share
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved