Tags: noaa | hurricane | season | above | average

Hurricane Season This Year Could Be Above Average: NOAA

Image: Hurricane Season This Year Could Be Above Average: NOAA

In this handout from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Hurricane Joaquin is seen churning in the Atlantic on Oct. 1, 2015. (NOAA via Getty Images)

By    |   Friday, 26 May 2017 05:45 AM

The NOAA is forecasting an above-normal season for hurricanes this year, citing a weak El Nino weather pattern and slightly warmer than normal sea-surface temperatures.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center predicted a 45 percent chance of an above-average hurricane season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and just a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season for Atlantic storms, according to a release.

NOAA forecasters were 70 percent sure there will be 11 to 17 named storms this year, five to nine of which might become hurricanes with sustained winds of 74 miles per hour or higher. These storms could include two to four major hurricanes (categories 3 to 5, 111-miles-per hour winds or higher).

An average season might have 12 named storms, including six hurricanes and three major hurricanes, NOAA said in the release.

There already has been a named tropical storm, Arlene, this April in the Atlantic, but it never reached land. The Pacific also had a named storm already this year, but Adrian stayed out to sea and didn’t affect land.

The Weather Channel is predicting an average Atlantic storm season, but predictions from AccuWeather and Colorado State University have slightly lower storm totals, USA Today noted.

This year is the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew, which slammed into Florida on Aug. 24, 1992.

The 2017 hurricane season goes from June 1 to Nov. 30, NOAA said.

“This season has had a running start,” said Ben Friedman, acting NOAA administrator, CNN reported. Tropical Storm Arlene was only the second named storm on record during April.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
The NOAA is forecasting an above-normal season for hurricanes this year, citing a weak El Nino weather pattern and slightly warmer than normal sea-surface temperatures.
noaa, hurricane, season, above, average
265
2017-45-26
Friday, 26 May 2017 05:45 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved