Tags: new york city | uber | app | tipping

New York City Wants Uber's App to Include a Tipping Feature

Image: New York City Wants Uber's App to Include a Tipping Feature

In this March 15, 2017, photo, a sign marks a pick-up point for the Uber car service at LaGuardia Airport in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

By    |   Tuesday, 18 Apr 2017 11:15 AM

New York City has moved to require Uber to add tipping to its app under a proposal by the Taxi and Limousine Commission that was announced Monday.

The Independent Drivers Guild petitioned the Commission to create a rule requiring in-app tipping, USA Today reported, and the Commission approved the petition. Excluding taxis, Uber gets about 80 percent of New York City’s ride-hailing market, with the other 20 percent split between Juno and Lyft, which both already offer in-app tipping.

The guild has stated that adding tipping to the app would result in an estimated $300 million a year for New York City drivers.

“New York City’s professional drivers have traditionally depended on gratuities for a substantial portion of their income,” IDG founder Jim Conigliaro Jr. said, Business Insider reported.

Conigliaro also pointed out NYC drivers don’t get any paid sick time or minimum wage like other workers do.

“The exploitation of ride-hail drivers must end, and this is an important step,” he said, BI reported.

About 11,000 NYC drivers signed the petition asking for the tipping feature.

If Uber adds an in-app tipping feature to comply with this rule change in NYC, it may very well do so nationwide, USA Today reported.

Some Twitter users outside NYC are hoping the tipping feature will be added nationwide.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
New York City has moved to require Uber to add tipping to its app under a proposal by the Taxi and Limousine Commission that was announced Monday.
new york city, uber, app, tipping
286
2017-15-18
Tuesday, 18 Apr 2017 11:15 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved