Tags: light | bulbs | ban | incandescent

Light Bulbs Ban: Incandescent Bulbs on Their Way Out

By    |   Thursday, 02 Jan 2014 12:09 PM

Incandescent light bulbs, better known as traditional light bulbs, are on their way out with the start of the New Year.

On Jan. 1, 2014, a ban prohibiting the production of 40 and 60-watt incandescent light bulbs, was put into effect, stemming from a 2007 energy-efficiency law signed by President George W. Bush.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll


According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the reason for the ban is because of their inefficiency, with only about ten percent of a traditional light bulb’s energy going towards the production of light.

"There are 4 billion light bulb sockets in the U.S. and more than 3 billion of them still use the standard incandescent technology that hasn't changed much in 125 years," the EPA said, CNN reported. "A standard incandescent is only 10% efficient -- the other 90% of the electricity it uses is lost as heat."

Seventy-five and 100-watt bulbs were already banned in 2013.

Though the 40-watt and 60-watt bulbs will no longer be made or imported into the U.S., stores can empty their inventory.

Mark Voykovic, national light bulb merchant for The Home Depot, told USA Today that the company has enough stock to last through the middle of 2014.

Spiral energy-saving compact fluorescent light bulbs will be replacing traditional light bulbs, though there are some loopholes in the law.

There is an exemption for the production of rough-service bulbs, which are essentially the same as incandescent bulbs but are sturdier and used in automobiles and subway cars.

Another exemption is the three-way standard incandescent light bulbs that will still be made, CNN noted.

Opponents of the law view the ban as a clear cut example of government overreach, in which the federal government makes decisions for consumers rather than letting the marketplace determine the products people want.

Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is Here. Are You Prepared?

"When we make a purchase, it's about quality, price, how much money we have now, can I use that money for a better investment? I don't need the government to say that I am making the incorrect decision and therefore I should buy energy-efficient products," said Daren Bakst, research fellow in agricultural policy at the Heritage Foundation.

"The light-bulb issue is about a complete ban of a product. It's overkill. Now you have something you can no longer buy. That's really indefensible," Bakst added.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Incandescent light bulbs, better known as traditional light bulbs, are on their way out with the start of the New Year.
light,bulbs,ban,incandescent
423
2014-09-02
Thursday, 02 Jan 2014 12:09 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved