Tags: ice bucket challenge | firefighter | dies

Ice Bucket Challenge: Firefighter Dies of Electric Wire Injuries

By    |   Monday, 22 Sep 2014 07:01 PM

A Kentucky firefighter accidentally electrocuted while helping college students do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge a month ago died Saturday.

Capt. Tony Grider, 41, died from the burns he received Aug. 21.

Grider, along with three other firefighters, were helping the Campbellsville University band make a video of their ice bucket challenge. After Grider and firefighter Simon Alex Quinn sprayed water on the band members from a bucket on an extended ladder, the students left and two firefighters on the ground began to move the bucket to lower it.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

But the bucket came near electrical lines, although a fire department spokesperson said it did not touch the lines, and shocked the two firefighters. The two on the ground, Capt. Steve Marrs and Alex Johnson, also were shocked when the current moved through the ladder.

"[It] appears energy arced over and ladder didn't actually hit lines. If you get within certain radius that can happen," officials said at a news conference in August when the incident occurred.

Quinn and Grider were seriously hurt; Quinn was released from the hospital last week, NBC News said. The other two firefighters were treated and released when the incident occurred.

Grider is survived by his wife, Gena Grider, and five children. His funeral has been set for Wednesday, WLKY said.



Grider had been airlifted out of his hometown for treatment; when his body was brought home, a procession of emergency vehicles followed.

"We lost one of our firefighters today and this is how we show our support not only to the rest of the firefighters that are mourning that loss, but his family as well," Rich Bliven, President of Brother's Keepers Motorcycle Club in Louisville, told WDRB.

Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.

Related Stories:

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A Kentucky firefighter accidentally electrocuted while helping college students do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge a month ago died Saturday.
ice bucket challenge, firefighter, dies
360
2014-01-22
Monday, 22 Sep 2014 07:01 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved