Tags: florida | flesh-eating | bacteria | warning

Florida Flesh-Eating Bacteria Kills Man; Officials Issue Warning

By    |   Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 06:12 PM

A Florida resident has died after being exposed to a flesh-eating bacteria when saltwater containing vibrio vulnificus entered an open wound.

The victim was middle-aged and had chronic health problems, Fox 13 News reported.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

"For someone who is immune-compromised, or has chronic liver disease, it could be a life-threatening situation," Steve Huard, a spokesperson for the Hillborough County Health Department, told Fox 13. "And it’s as simple as going in the water with open cuts or wounds to your skin."

Florida officials issued a warning about the flesh-eating bacteria, which has infected 11 people and killed three this year in the state.

Eating contaminated oysters and shellfish also can spread the bacteria, said ABC News.

The bacteria thrive in warm saltwater. Most people recover with antibiotics, but severe infections can lead to amputation. Blood infections also are a concern.

The news alarmed Twitter users.







Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.

Related Stories:

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A Florida resident has died after being exposed to a flesh-eating bacteria when saltwater containing vibrio vulnificus entered an open wound.
florida, flesh-eating, bacteria, warning
254
2014-12-30
Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 06:12 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved