Tags: dwayne johnson | puppy | died | poisonous | mushroom

Dwayne Johnson Forced to Put Dog Down After It Ate Poisonous Mushroom

Image: Dwayne Johnson Forced to Put Dog Down After It Ate Poisonous Mushroom
(Instagram)

By    |   Wednesday, 30 Sep 2015 12:32 PM

Dwayne Johnson is mourning the loss of his dog Brutus after the French bulldog puppy got sick and died after eating a poisonous mushroom while playing outdoors, the A-list actor said on Instagram.

The busy professional wrestler-turned-Hollywood star wrote on social media Tuesday that he and girlfriend Lauren Hashian made the choice to put the dog down.

 

Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on



"I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks, or anywhere outside your dogs play," he wrote. "What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We'll always love you Brutus . . . and you'll always be my lil' main man andrough housing Brute."

It was a difficult decision for the actor to let the dog go but the medical advice did not give him much of a choice, according to TMZ.

"The mushroom was so toxic, the dog's liver shut down within hours," the celebrity gossip site reported. "The Rock says the dog was on life-support, but after consulting with vets he decided to let Brutus go."

The New York Daily News wrote that it was the second time in a month Johnson, 43, attempted to come to the rescue of his pets. He reportedly saved both of his dogs from drowning in his swimming pool near the Labor Day weekend.

The "Fast & Furious" star posted a photograph of him holding both dogs in a pool after he said he rescued them.

 

Here's a fun Labor Day weekend story... We just decided to add two new members to our Johnson family. Baby French Bulldogs. In my right hand is BRUTUS and in my left hand is HOBBS. Bring them home and immediately take them outside so they can start learning how to "handle their business and potty like big boys". I set them both down and they both take off in a full sprint and fall right into the deep end of our pool. HOBBS immediately starts doggy paddling while BRUTUS (like a brick) sink heads first to the bottom of the pool. I take off into a full sprint, fully clothed, dive in the pool, swim to the bottom, rescue my brick, I mean BRUTUS and bring him back to the edge of the pool. He was a little delirious.. took a moment, threw up all the water he swallowed and looked up at me as if to say, "Thank God you didn't have to give me mouth to mouth!" and then ran off to play with his brother. A few lessons I've learned today.. A) Not all puppies have the instinct to doggie paddle. B) Some puppies (like BRUTUS) will be so in shock by experiencing water they will sink extremely fast so react quick. C) While spiriting to save your puppies life, before you dive in, try and throw your cel phone to safety. Don't keep it in your pocket... like I did. #BRUTUSLives #HOBBSCanSwim #MyCelPhonesDead #AndNoMouthToMouthNeeded #HappyLaborDay

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on



Fans shared their condolences on social media as well.





Related Stories:

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Dwayne Johnson is mourning the loss of his dog Brutus after the French bulldog puppy got sick and died after eating a poisonous mushroom while playing outdoors, the A-list actor said on Instagram.
dwayne johnson, puppy, died, poisonous, mushroom
798
2015-32-30
Wednesday, 30 Sep 2015 12:32 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved