Tags: dont | eat | daffodils

Don't Eat Daffodils From the Grocery – They're Poisonous

By    |   Monday, 09 Feb 2015 06:59 AM

"Don't eat the daffodils" is the stern warning British health officials are issuing to grocers and shoppers after many people accidentally mistook them for garlic chives and poisoned themselves.

"Daffodils are dangerous if eaten and poisoning can occur as a result. We are aware of an incident in Bristol a few years ago in which some shoppers, for whom English was not their first language, bought daffodils and cooked the plants believing them to be something else," Professor Paul Cosford, director for health protection at Public Health England, told The Daily Express (UK) on Saturday.

"We are asking stores to ensure daffodils, both the bulbs from which they sprout and the cut variety too, are displayed well away from the produce or fruit and vegetable area. Such a move will, we hope, produce a separation in shoppers’ minds that will help to stop them thinking daffodils are edible."

Public Health England has received roughly 63 inquiries from doctors asking how to treat daffodil and narcissus poisoning over the last six years, and last year there were a whopping 27. With the rise in poisonings in mind, health officials thought to nip 2015 in the bud, and issue the daffodil-relocation suggestion to grocers across the country.

Not everyone is pleased with the edict, however.

Nathan Gill, a politician from Wales, said the warning was a perfect example of "the dreaded hand of state interference."

"We would hope all Welsh consumers are rightly annoyed our national flower is buried away from sight like a pack of cigarettes due to ridiculous health and safety rules," he added.

A spokesperson for one supermarket chain said that they have long kept all flowers away from the produce, noting that, "While some of our flowers look good enough to eat, they are not."

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
"Don't eat the daffodils" is the stern warning British health officials are issuing to grocers and shoppers after many people accidentally mistook them for garlic chives and poisoned themselves.
dont, eat, daffodils
297
2015-59-09
Monday, 09 Feb 2015 06:59 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved