Tags: dog | dies | petco | drying | cage | forgotten

Dog Dies at Petco: Forgotten Pup Left in Drying Cage Too Long

Image: Dog Dies at Petco: Forgotten Pup Left in Drying Cage Too Long
(Wikimedia/Commons)

By    |   Tuesday, 02 Jun 2015 10:12 AM

A dog died at a Petco store in Virginia last week after the 2-year-old golden retriever named Colby was left in a drying cage for too long.

Owner Allison Marks dropped Colby off Friday at the Westchester Commons Petco for a routine grooming, according to WTVR.

After not hearing back from Petco for five hours after dropping off the dog, Marks called the store, according to The Huffington Post. She was told to meet the assistant manager at a local animal hospital.

The manager told Marks that Colby was accidentally left in a heated drying cage for too long.

“This is her exact words: 'Your groomer had to go because she had a graduation to go to,'” Marks told WTVR.

The veterinarian told Marks her dog probably died of heat stroke. Over an hour after Colby passed, the dog's internal temperature was more than 105 degrees, according to the station.

But Petco’s corporate office insisted to Marks that the drying cages stop after 15 minutes.

“I said, ‘Well, if they cut off after 15 minutes, how come his temperature is still so high?’” Marks said.

Petco released a statement on the incident Sunday.

“All of us at Petco are heartbroken by Colby’s passing,” the statement read. “The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take full responsibility for all animals under our care. We are taking immediate action to investigate and understand the situation. Our thoughts are with Colby’s family at this difficult time.”

In another statement Monday, however, Petco announced the suspension of the groomer and confirmed that a heated dryer was not used during Colby’s visit, WTVR reported.

Marks now reportedly plans on pressing charges against Petco. Chesterfield Animal Control is currently investigating the incident.

“You can’t replace a dog like that,” Marks said. “He was the most lovable dog ever. It sickens me that they can let something like this happen. How could he not suffer? He was in a cage for God knows how long . . . It’s like losing a child. I don’t want anyone else to go through what I’m going through.”

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A dog died at a Petco store in Virginia last week after the 2-year-old golden retriever named Colby was left in a drying cage for too long.
dog, dies, petco, drying, cage, forgotten
356
2015-12-02
Tuesday, 02 Jun 2015 10:12 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved