Tags: doctors | work | sick

Doctors Work Sick Though They Believe Patients May Be at Risk

By    |   Tuesday, 07 Jul 2015 11:58 AM

Most doctors in a new survey admitted that they've gone to work sick, even though they believe it puts patients at risk.

The study, conducted among 536 doctors and advanced practice clinicians at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, found that 83 percent came to work with symptoms like fever, diarrhea, and significant respiratory problems, Reuters reported.

"Most of us have policies restricting visitation by visitors who are ill, we screen them for signs or symptoms," said Dr. Jeffrey R. Starke of the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, who coauthored a commentary on the new study. "Yet we don’t do the same thing for ourselves."

"When I saw the results, I said 80 percent of them admit they work when they are sick and the other 20 percent are lying," he said. "Physicians who work in hospitals are heavily monitored in terms of productivity."

Of those who reported having worked while sick in the past year, nearly 100 percent said they did so because they didn't want to let colleagues and patients down, and said there were not enough people to cover the workload in their absence.

"Some respondents described a complete absence of a sick relief system in their clinical area, whereas others were aware that their area had a sick relief policy but reported it was not used in practice," wrote study lead Julia Szymczak and her team. "Others suggested that their clinical work area lacked enough staff to make designing a sick relief system feasible."

The full study was published Monday in the Journal of the American Medical Association's JAMA Pediatrics.

 


© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Most doctors in a new survey admitted that they've gone to work sick, even though they believe it puts patients at risk.
doctors, work, sick
265
2015-58-07
Tuesday, 07 Jul 2015 11:58 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved