Tags: disney | shanghai | marvel universe | tron | mickey avenue

Disney Shanghai — Featuring Marvel, 'Tron,' Mickey — to Open Spring 2016

By    |   Wednesday, 15 Jul 2015 01:05 PM

Disney Shanghai was unveiled by company chairman Bob Iger this week and the park, slated for a spring 2016 opening, will reportedly feature a Marvel Universe attraction, a ride dedicated to the "Tron" franchise, and a Mickey Avenue main street.

Iger made the presentation for the theme park, which is currently under construction, at the Shanghai Expo Centre on Wednesday, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Shanghai Disney will feature six destinations, including Adventure Isle, Gardens of Imagination, Mickey Avenue, Tomorrowland, Treasure Cove, and Fantasyland, the Sentinel reported.

The 420-room Shanghai Disneyland Hotel and 800-room Toy Story Hotel will anchor the theme park's resort. It will also feature Disneytown, an entertainment district that will host the Broadway version of "The Lion King" presented in Mandarin.

"We are building something truly special here in Shanghai that not only showcases the best of Disney's storytelling but also celebrates and incorporates China's incredibly rich heritage to create a one-of-a-kind destination that will delight and entertain the people of China for generations to come," Iger told the local media, according to Disney Parks' website.

"We are taking everything we've learned from our six decades of exceeding expectations — along with our relentless innovation and famous creativity to create a truly magical place that is both authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese," he continued.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Shanghai Disney comes after years of negotiations. Controversy over the theme park cropped up when three employees of companies working on the grounds said some delays were caused by construction problems when Chinese contractors cut corners and did not meet Disney's standards.

Gary Goddard, a former Disney Imagineer who has worked in China, told the newspaper that the delays will prove worth it.

"I don't think Mr. Iger wants to open Shanghai and then have to fix things for the next 10 years as had to be done with parks of the last decade and a half," Goddard told the Times. "Hopes are high."

State-owned investment group Shanghai Shendi will own 57 percent of Shanghai Disney with Disney owning the other 43 percent. The Times said that Disney has managed to carve a niche in the country despite Chinese government officials usually being wary of "foreign cultural influences."

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Disney Shanghai was unveiled by company chairman Bob Iger this week and the park, slated for a spring 2016 opening, will reportedly feature a Marvel Universe attraction, a ride dedicated to the "Tron" franchise, and a Mickey Avenue main street.
disney, shanghai, marvel universe, tron, mickey avenue
371
2015-05-15
Wednesday, 15 Jul 2015 01:05 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved