Tags: devon staples | killed | launching | fireworks | head

Devon Staples Killed Launching Fireworks Shell From His Head

By    |   Monday, 06 Jul 2015 07:20 AM

Devon Staples was killed instantly when he attempted to launch Fourth of July fireworks from his head while drinking with friends. His brother said there was nothing left of him.

Staples, 22, put a fireworks mortar on his head about 10 p.m. Saturday and lit the fuse, Maine Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland told WCSH-TV.

 


"I was the first one who got there," Cody Staples, 25, the victim's brother, told the New York Daily News. "There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there. It was a freak accident … Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh."

"Apparently, he thought that was a great idea," McCausland said. "His friends they thought dissuaded him from doing it, and the next thing they knew, he ignited the fireworks and he was killed instantly."

That accident in Calais, in northeast Maine, was perhaps the worst Independence Day fireworks injury around the country.

In Montana on Saturday, a 32-year-old man was killed at a Billings home in a fireworks accident involving a mortar tube, reported The Associated Press, and in New Jersey, a 52-year-old man blew off a large piece of his left leg below the knee when he set off a tennis-ball sized firework in Leonia.

ESPN said two-time NFL Pro Bowler Jason Pierre-Paul of the New York Giants, 26, suffered serious burns on one palm and three fingers from fireworks. A source said the injuries shouldn't affect the defensive lineman's playing career.

In Boston's Dorchester neighborhood, two children – five and nine – were injured Sunday by fireworks, reported WCVB-TV. The children were taken to Boston Children's Hospital, one with a serious hand injury and the other with burns.

Boston Police superintendent-in-chief William Gross had said one of the injuries might involve amputation, which was confirmed in later reports.

Earlier in the week, a Tennessee boy died after fireworks went off in his hand.

 



© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Devon Staples was killed instantly when he attempted to launch Fourth of July fireworks from his head while drinking with friends. His brother said there was nothing left of him.
devon staples, killed, launching, fireworks, head
350
2015-20-06
Monday, 06 Jul 2015 07:20 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved