Tags: detergent | pods | risk | study | poisoning

Detergent Pods Risk: 17K Kids Under 6 Ingested Them in a Year

By    |   Monday, 10 Nov 2014 11:59 AM

Detergent pods pose a serious risk to children, according to a new study that found that more than 17,000 kids under the age of 6 ingested the laundry cleaner between 2012 and 2013.

Two children even died from exposure to the chemicals, The New York Times noted.

The study, published recently in the journal Pediatrics, compiled reports from the National Poison Data System and found that accidental poisoning from the single-load detergent pods is more common than some might think.

The study bolsters a 2012 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention admission, which stated that the pods "might represent an emerging public health concern," according to The Times.

Out of the 17,000 reports, more than 700 of the children were hospitalized after ingesting or inhaling the detergent pods, or squirting the chemicals in their eyes.

"[The pods] are made with almost like a very thin Saran wrap that dissolves when wet," Dr. Cynthia Aaron, the medical director of the Regional Poison Control Center at Children’s Hospital of Michigan, told The Times. "They bite on it, and the contents go to the back of their throat."

Many critics contend that the pods are appealing to children because they resemble candy or teething toys. Additionally, the external packaging is often Ziploc-style, which is not the ideal deterrent for curious toddlers.

Other critics say the laundry detergent companies should take steps to de-toxify the products.

"The most important factor in decreasing bad outcomes for kids is to decrease the toxicity of the product itself, or decrease the ability for it to get into the hands or mouths of young children," Dr. Fred M. Henretig, an emergency medicine doctor and senior toxicologist at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, told the newspaper.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

 
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Detergent pods pose a serious risk to children, according to a new study that found that more than 17,000 kids under the age of 6 ingested the laundry cleaner between 2012 and 2013.
detergent, pods, risk, study, poisoning
287
2014-59-10
Monday, 10 Nov 2014 11:59 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved